Don't be ludicrous

Eight months later

Eight months or so had passed and over that time you had become pretty much inseparable from Jacob. The two of you choosing to spend most of your days lazily together and when his work allowed him to,  your nights slightly more actively.

Times with him brought a simplistic and undivided brightness to your previous grey and arduous life, he picked you up when you felt down, made you laugh when you wanted to cry and most importantly, he craved nothing more than your company in return.

The last few months had been a complete head spinning whirlwind as far you were concerned. Jacob intoxicated you on a level you'd never felt before, he'd shown you what it was to laugh and like living once again and dare you admit it,  even if it was only just to yourself for now......love? You just couldn't get enough of your gang leader and dearly hoped he felt some fraction of adoration for you as you did for him. If you'd allow yourself time  to indulge........you'd become giddily happy.

The Twelve Bells Pub, Whitechapel

The hazy August early evening heat brought with it a hot and bothered restlessness inside Jacob's regular that evening. A rough spit and sawdust kind of place, located deep within the jaded veins of Whitechapel's back streets, it had somehow become the place gang members gathered of late. A place where others never judged nor assumed and where a blind eye was turned more often than not. The liberty and unlawfulness it harboured meant  the Rooks had long since adopted it as their place of choice to relax, gain acceptance and form firm kinships.

Large wooden, liquor stained tables scarred with the names of those who'd sat there previously, entertained the ale soaked Rooks who slumped at them, each one of them drunkly bawling and mewing some dusted melody that carried from a painfully flat piano situated some way off. it's discordant yet enthusiastic harmony rang loudly above the dirtied, sordid buzz of the place. Shit and dirt aside, you loved the place.

"Ere!" Mary sighed as she slammed two pewter tankards nosily down on the small battered table in front of you. Her force sent the frothy head of your ale messily down the outside pooling on the wooden surface.  "I 'ope you bleedin choke on em an'all"

You lifted your lips from Jacob's ear and giggled lightly, both sharing a private joke whilst sat comfortably across his lap. 

"Did I ever tell you, that I loved you dearly Mary?" You grinned happily as Jacob tightened his hold slightly around your waist.

"Look at yer!......It's disgustin!" She hummed teasingly "you two..... Pawing over each other the way you do all the bloody time...... No one should be that happy!....it's a public outrage the way you two carry on you know, no public decency, I may get offended by your display"

Casting your head back you laughed heartily at Mary's words "public decency?.... Give me a break Mary" you cackled  "what about that time you pounced on that Rook from the Southwark stronghold? Poor lad didn't know what bloody hit him.... Scarred he was......And if I recall he left London not long after that didn't he Jacob?" You turned to face him.

"Yeeeees! Yes he did, I remember who you're on about now" Jacob giggled as he gazed over your shoulder to Mary

"So you see, don't come here dribbling about outrage, decency and decorum Miss Powell!"

"Decorum!" She shrieked with a laugh "See I bleedin knew you were at it.... All that time you lied to old Mary, Knew all along I did.....where's the decorum there eh?.....you can't pull the wool over my eyes you know!"