You surprise me Jacob

"Good morning Mr Frye...... How's tricks?"  A males voice came booming in through the window of your room from the sunshine outside.

"Oh my god, he's here!" You cawed excitedly jumping to your feet. "Will I do?" You asked nervously, quickly turning to Mary and smoothing down your clothes.

"You look lovely m'dear" she said almost as excitedly as you as she stood and stepped over to you, . Her hands lifted and straightened your coat collars  "you bloody lucky cow, wish he'd have asked me to go with him" she added

You smiled coyly, nodding as you recalled the watered down version of events you'd told Mary last night. It was well into the small hours by the time you'd both settled after your 'intruder' and if truth be told you were so tired  by that time, you'd  just wanted to crawl straight to bed. With some story concocted about you being soaked by a passing carriage on your way home, there'd been absolutely no mention what so ever of the kiss you'd both shared. Be it a spur of the moment thing on Jacobs part, you weren't sure,  you just thought it best not to mention it. After all you knew exactly what her reaction would have been.

"It's just a walk Mary, he could be using the whole thing as an excuse to check some future target out or something...... I'm sure that whatever you've made this into inside your head.... It's most certainly not!"

"Well....whatever it is, I wouldn't have cared, I'd have definitely gone with him.....in fact, I'd see there'd be not much in the way of walking or talking going on" she sneered mischievously as she patted your jacket down, happy you were now straight and crease free.

"Oh god Mary!" You giggled "you know, I actually fear for the welfare of any bloke you eventually meet"

"Really? " she said, her eyes still on your jacket "You shouldn't ...... Im going to settle down with Jacob" she smiled quite matter of factly " he just doesn't know it yet...... But once he realises I'm the more desirable one out of the two of us..... It won't just be the windows here that need replacing.... The door too, once he kicks it down to get to me" she laughed lightly as she heard herself

"Bloody hell!" You grinned "right! I'd better be off..... Wish me luck" you smiled widely as you strode quickly towards the door 

"Sharn't!" She said playfully "go on.... Go prove yourself boring.... Don't say I didn't try and warn you!....... Tell him that I'm in the rest of the morning if he changes his mind!" She giggled just as you pulled the door wide and disappeared through it and began to skip quickly down the stairs.

"Will do!" You called, your voice accompanying your quietening steps as you descended towards the external door and eventually outside.

As you pushed the door open, your eyes narrowed slightly as they met the glorious and bright weather that morning, certainly a welcomed change from the usual frost and greyed life sapping smog that had recently hung over the city of late. The brisk winter sun shone down turning everything it touched to a inspiriting golden hue. Today was going to be a good day.

You stepped towards Jacob who was seemingly in deep conversation with one of the older Rooks who you knew from the stronghold, not wanting to disturb either man, you slowed your step respectfully as you approached.

Jacob's eyes flicked up and noted your presence "ah [your name]" he smiled gently as the rook continued his relentless one sided conversation "yes.... Yes Jim, I really need to be going now but I promise I'll look in to it" he said as Jacob's hand found the Rooks shoulder urging him to end their conversation.

Jim continued vermantly with the point he was trying to make, his words spilling from his mouth so quickly they almost stopped him from drawing breath. With a mischievous look, Jacob's eyes skipped up to you once more giving an almost suggested roll in frustration. "Yes well.... Leave it to me, I promise I'll address it....ok?"