Chapter 21 - The Chicago Skyline

Chapter 21 - The Chicago Skyline

The tour had been over for a while now and everything around them seemed to back to normal. The two of them had come clean to their friends at the end of the tour and to both of their surprise everyone there had taken it all in so nicely.

The sun came peeking in through the window as Meredith slowly awoke by the sun gently kissing her cheek. She had no idea that the following day was a day she would remember for a very long time. She slowly opened up her eyes to look over next to her and expected Brian, her beloved boyfriend, to be laying there as he had ever since their return from tour. But this morning he was no where to be found. She sat up in bed as she put on her glasses and looked around in their bedroom. Still no sign of him. She slowly got out of their bedroom and started moving downstairs. She found her way into their living room, in the middle of coffee table a big bouquet of 11 thorn less roses of different colours, attached to them a little card. As a smile grew on her face she stepped over and picked up the card

"My dearest and sweetest Mere. Today is all about you and my love for you. As you can see in front of you, that is if you are reading this card in front of the flowers, you will notice the variations of colours on the beautiful flowers. All this has a meaning, which is yet to be revealed. Meredith Elyse Stepien you mean the world to me. I love you more than anything. I will see you any second now! Your Brian xoxo"

She placed the card back on the table as she closed her eyes she took a sniff at the beautiful flowers. When she opened up her eyes again, she saw out of the corner of her eye a familiar figure that looked to be standing there observing her. She turned around and smiled in the direction of the figure. She observed a big smile coming back her way. As she walked in that direction her own smile only grew bigger and she felt how the heat in her body only rose for each step she took. "Good morning beautiful" he said as she placed a small kiss on her cheek before pulling her into a hug. As their bodies met in a hug it was as their hearts synchronized at once and started beating together. As they pulled apart he pulled her along towards the kitchen. As they entered she noticed a nicely done table sat with the loveliest brunch lay out she had ever seen. Without any questions she sat down by the table and started to eat her way through the food.

As the sun started its return back down their day filled with love was slowly coming to an end. As they left the restaurant that afternoon Brian took Meredith's hand in his as he said "okay I got one more surprise for you tonight, just one more I promise it's the last one, I know you'll love it" she felt how her cheeks slightly blushed yet again that day. As they walked along the water with the skyline becoming more and more visible behind them, Meredith took her chance and finally asked him, "what is all this for? Have I missed something? Why suddenly all this Bri, don't get me wrong the day has been lovely but why?" Brian stopped, turned to face her so the skyline and the sun was behind him and took both of his hands in hers, "do I really need a reason to show my girlfriend just how much she means to me?" their eyes met and for a second it felt like that one day back in college when all of this started. The day at the party when they shared their first kiss. The day their worlds changed. "Mere I promised you this morning to give an explanation on the mixed roses back home. Well each of the roses have a special meaning even the number of roses. First off 11 is the sign of me clarify to you how madly and truly in love I am with you. Since the day we played spin the bottle back at college I knew I wanted to be with you. Since that day I couldn't stop thinking about you. I knew I needed you close to me. When you're not around I feel like a big part of me is missing and I only feel whole when you're together with me" she felt how his hands got sweatier under his grab. He let go of one of her hands as he placed a small kiss on her cheek. Then he continued "we've both been with other people but I still couldn't get you out of my mind. You're my sun, my day, my night, my stars. You're the reason I get up in the morning with a smile. You're the person that makes me count the minutes each day till I'm off work and I'm back home with you. I could spend days, hours, week getting lost in your beautiful eyes. When we were on tour I couldn't wait for it to end so I could finally pull you close and shout to the world just how much I love you. All I want for the rest of my life is to wake up beside you, for you to be the first person I see and think about when I wake up and the last person I see and think about before I go to bed" he smiled at her as he got something out from his pocket. At that moment Meredith felt a thousand butterflies appear in her stomach as she now knew what was going on all along. Brian got down on one knee as the sky behind him had found its perfect shade of pink and orange. He took a deep breath before finally revealing what this day had been about all along, "there's no reason for me to tip-toe around it anymore, I mean you probably already guessed where all of this is going but Meredith Elyse Stepien would you make me the happiest and luckiest man on earth and become my wife?"

Meredith felt how tears started to roll down her cheeks as she nodded her head to respond to the question. She helped him stand back up and their lips met in a kiss. The world around them froze in that moment and suddenly it felt like they were the only two people left in the world.

This was the perfect end to a perfect day. From this moment forward they both knew they would spend the rest of their lives together until death would do them apart.