Chapter One

(A/N The song on the side is called perfect. I think it fits perfectly with how Mackenzie feels like she's not good enough for her parents.)

Chapter One – Mackenzie's P.O.V

My mother slammed my head against the wall as she screamed in my face. "You're such a pathetic piece of shit Mackenzie!" My mum yelled

She pushed me down on the floor before she started hitting, punching and kicking me. I didn't move, cry or say anything. It was best for me to stay quiet when she was like that. My mother repeatedly beat me until she grew tired of it. "Go upstairs to your room! I don't want to see your ugly face ever again!" She told me before she walked into the kitchen and pulled herself yet another glass of wine. She told me that it helped her, but I wasn't so sure. She always seemed to be a lot more aggressive when she was drinking. I did as I was told and went upstairs

I opened my bedroom door. I didn't have much, just a mattress on the floor and a bag of dirty stained clothes. My mother wouldn't let me have anything else. She said that I didn't need or deserve anything else

I laid down on my mattress and stared at the walls as I heard my mother walking around the bottom of the house. I couldn't understand why my mother had me in the first place. I had never been anything but a disappointment to her and my father who left before I was born. I don't blame my father though, if I had the chance I would try and get away from her as well. But I couldn't, not after what happened last time. I shivered as my brain reminded me of the what happened.

My mother never told me why my dad left. She just told me that he didn't want me because I was a disgusting piece of crap. I didn't even know what he looked like, my mother never let me see a photo of him

Alex's P.O.V

I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel impatiently as I waited for the light to go green. I was on the way to my ex girlfriends house. You might be wondering why I was seeing that lying, cheating, scumbag and to be honest I had no idea why either. My phone rang all of a sudden as the lights turned green. I looked down at the screen on my phone and decided to ignore it before I pressed my foot down on the pedal and drove towards Lauren's house. I'm going to regret doing this. I thought to myself as I pulled up on her drive way and stopped the car.

The door opened as soon as I turned the engine off. I opened the car door and closed it before I went towards Lauren. She smiled at me as I reached her. "Alex. Long time no see." She said in her sickly sweet voice. I didn't say anything as I gritted my teeth and followed her inside.

As soon as I stepped into the house, alcohol filled my nostrils and it made me want to be sick. I had never liked the smell or taste of alcohol and here I was inside a house that stunk of it. The house was dirty and a mess as if it hadn't been cleaned in months. Rats scurried through the hallway and slipped into a hole on the wall. Lauren noticed my face and then laughed at me.

"We can't all be rich and live in a fricking mansion Alex." She said to me.

"No. But would it kill you to clean every now and then?" I asked her as she raised her eyebrows.

She ignored me as she turned her back to me and went into the lounge. I followed from behind and sat down on the couch before Lauren smirked at me. Yep. I defiantly regret coming here now. I said inside my head.

"So you said you had-." The sound of someone's footsteps interrupted me.

A little girl no older than about five came into the room. She was covered in dirt, her hair was a mess and her clothes were stained. Her skin was pale white and her arms looked way too thin. She had nothing on her feet as she stepped inside the room and stood in front of Lauren. The little girl turned around and my heart stopped. The features on her face were exactly like mine. She had a similar eye colour to mine. I turned to face Lauren who was smirking at both of us

"Mackenzie this is Alex. Your father..." Lauren trailed off as the little girl looked straight at me and then ran out of the room before I could say or do anything.

My mum spoke up as the man in front of me continued to stare at me.

"Mackenzie meet Alex. Your father..." My mum trailed off. Emotions spiralled inside of me as I looked at Alex and then ran out of the room

I sprinted up the stairs as I heard Alex speaking. "What the hell!" He shouted at her as I reached my bedroom door. They continued to shout and argue with each other as fell onto my mattress and started crying.

Alex's P.O.V (5 minutes later)

I tried to contain my anger as much as possible. "So my daughter was born five years ago and you didn't think to fucking tell me?" I yelled frustrated. Lauren didn't react. It was almost like she didn't give a shit

"You weren't exactly talking to me five years ago." Lauren pointed out

"And I wonder why? Could it be to do with the fact that you cheated on me with my best friend?"

Lauren shrugged her shoulders. "I'm going to talk to her." I announced

I went upstairs and knocked on the only door that was shut. I could hear sounds of crying as I opened the door and stepped inside. As soon as I looked around me, I gasped in shock. The walls were bare and had stains of blood on them. The only things that were on the floor was a bag of stained and dirty clothes and a mattress. Mackenzie was lying on top of it and she looked at me as I closed the door. Her eyes were red and blotchy from crying as she wiped the tears that were on her cheek away.

I took a deep breath before I walked towards her and sat down beside her. She stiffened for a second as she backed away from me and into the corner. "Please don't hurt me." She whimpered as she looked at me afraid.

I looked at her confused until I noticed something around her legs. As soon as I realised what they must be from I felt sick and angry. "I'm not going to hurt you okay? I just want to talk to you." I explained as I heard Lauren coming up the stairs.

"C-can I ask you a question?" She asked me. She looked at me with those brown eyes as I nodded my head.

"Why did you leave?" She questioned me. "Why did you leave as soon as you found out about me?" She continued as she looked at the floor

"I didn't." I told her confused. "I'm still here." Mackenzie shook her head.

"No. I meant when my mum told you she was pregnant with me. Why did you leave? Why did you hate me...?" She trailed off. My heart broke

"Honey I didn't know she was pregnant with you. I left for a completely different reason." Then Mackenzie did something unexpected. She climbed onto my lap and snuggled into me as Lauren came in the room

I wrapped my arms around her and suddenly realised how cold and skinny she was. She shivered at the sudden warmth as Lauren cleared her throat.

"I guess now we need to talk about child support..." I interrupted her.

"I'm not giving you money just so you can spend it on drugs and alcohol." I snapped at her.

"But she's your daughter. You need to support her..."

"Oh I intend to do that. Mackenzie pack your things. You're coming to live with me." I told my five year old.