Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One – Demi's P.O.V

Sophia was lying in a hospital bed and Mackenzie was sat next to her. Mackenzie hadn't really said anything since we came to the hospital. I looked at Sophia and all the band aids that were wrapped around her small body. It angered me that someone could do that to an innocent child. Mackenzie looked up at me

"Mum...Is this my fault?" She asked me. I looked at Mackenzie a little confused as she asked me that. Why would this be her fault? I shook my head at her a few minutes later. Mac didn't look convinced though. "But if I'd told someone she wouldn't have gone home yesterday and she wouldn't be lying in a hospital bed right now. I should have told the teacher shouldn't I?"

"Mac listen to me. What happened to Sophia isn't your fault. I know it feels like that but it isn't. You weren't the one who hurt her. You weren't the one who nearly killed her. Her mum and her mother's boyfriend did." I tried to reassure her. I found it hurt to call that bitch a mum. She didn't deserve to have a child.

Sophia's P.O.V

I was laying in complete darkness. I could hear everyone's voices around me, Mackenzie's, Demi's and another voice who I assumed was Alex, Mackenzie's dad. I tried to fight against the darkness but my eyes were too heavy. It was like they were being held down by a bunch of bricks. I couldn't move my body either, it kind of scared me. Was I dead or was I still breathing

A voice filled my ears. The light turned on and I realised I was in a room. The room was painted blue and it had a fluffy grey carpet. A piano was on the right hand side next to a window that had drapes hanging from them. I looked around me confused. Where was everybody? Was I going crazy or something?

"Sophia." Someone called out. I turned around and saw someone I hadn't seen since I was three years old. I ran towards them. As soon as I reached my dad I threw my arms around him

"I've missed you daddy." I told him as he lifted me into his arms

"I've missed you too." He mumbled against my hair before he kissed me on the cheek. "But I've been watching over you." He told me.

I looked at him confused. "You have?" I asked him. My dad nodded his head.

"People never really leave Sophia. Just because you can't see someone doesn't mean they're not there." My dad explained to me.

"Then where are they?" I asked him confused. My dad placed me down on the floor before he knelt down beside me. He reached out and touched my heart.

"In here. I'll never leave. Just because I'm not with you in human form doesn't mean I've left you for good. I want you to remember that okay?" My dad asked me. I nodded my head at him.

"You'll always be my little girl." He said as he ruffled my hair playfully. He smiled at me.

"Promise me?" I asked him. He nodded his head and held out his pinkie.

"I promise Sophia. You need to wake up in a minute but..." I interrupted him a second later.

"Can't I come with you?" I asked him as tears fell down my cheeks. "I don't want to leave yet." My dad sighed before he pulled me into a hug.

"Remember what I just said? You can't stay with me. It's not your time to leave. Mackenzie would miss you too much as well Sophia." My dad replied to me.

"You know about Mackenzie?" I asked him. He nodded his head

"I know about everything that's happened to you in the last three years Sophia." My dad informed me. "And don't worry I'll make sure that your mother never hurts you ever again okay?"

"Okay..." I trailed off as I hugged my dad one last time. Tears continued to fall down my face.

"Hey this isn't goodbye remember? I'll be with you as long as you live, then when the time comes we'll be together again. I promise." He said as he wiped my tears away. "I love you so much Sophia."

My dad started to fade into the darkness. "I love you to daddy." I whispered.

"Sophia?" I heard Mackenzie's voice as things started to become a lot clearer. I opened my eyes a minute later and squinted at the sudden light.

"Sophia you're okay!" Mackenzie sighed in relief as I looked at her. Tears started to fall down her face.

"I was scared I lost you..." Mackenzie trailed off. I slowly sat up and pulled her into a hug.

"You'll never lose me Mackenzie. We're best friends forever and ever remember?" I reminded her.

"No matter what happens." Mackenzie finished for me. I reached out and wiped her tears away from her eyes.

"No matter what happens." I repeated a second later. "I promise."