XI

"Who are you?"

My eyes bored into his. "I am Assassin Blair."

"Who is Blair Ambrose?"

"Nonexistent, " I responded; he searched for any trace of hesitation. But there was none because Assassin Blair was who I was now and who I'd be from here on out.

"You're good to go, " the man confirmed and I walked out of the debriefing room.

River passed by me in the hallway before stopping in his tracks. He quickly caught up with me, a folder in his hands. "Blair. I thought you'd take a bit longer."

"I think you mean Assassin Blair, " I corrected without looking at him.

"Right, " he muttered and cleared his throat. "Where are you going?"

"The cafeteria. Isn't it lunchtime, Leader?"

He froze.

"Don't call me that, " he whispered before quickly walking away. I furrowed my eyebrows. I thought that was what he wanted.

Sighing, I reached the cafeteria and placed some food on my tray. Then, I met Cody and Drake at our table.

"Hey, guys, " I greeted them and Cody threw a french fry my way. Smiling, I opened my mouth; it landed exactly on my tongue.

"Nice, " Drake commented monotonously, as always.

Sam, short for Samantha, sat beside me. We became friends during a training session because of our mutual love for the Flash. "What's up, BA?"

"Nothing much. How are you?"

"Strange and getting stranger."

Cody snickered. "That's not new."

"Oh, shut up, you hypocrite, " Sam elbowed him and he winced.

"Hey, watch the merchandise! You're so mean. Tell her, Drake!" Cody faced Drake, rubbing where Sam hurt him. Drake lifted his gaze to him before glancing at Sam's food tray.

"Can I have your pudding?"

"Tonight's episode of The Flash was way too emotionally overwhelming for me, " Sam groaned.

"When is it not?" I chuckled as she hopped off my bed.

"You know what I need?" she asked and I shook my head. With a yawn, she said: "Some good, old fashioned sleep. Catch up with you later, BA?"

"Of course, " I smiled. Then, a question came to mind. "Hey, wait, Sam. What does BA stand for?"

"Two things: Blue Assassin and Blair Ambrose, " Sam winked at me before walking out of the door. I, however, frowned.

Wasn't I supposed to forget my true identity?

Sighing, I contemplated whether I should sleep, eat, or call my family. I definitely did not want to do the latter.

I turned off my TV and left my room. "Eat it is."

As I went around the corner, I tumbled into a pair of muscular arms.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" I immediately began apologizing profusely.

Then, I realized who it was.

"River. I mean–"

"You mean River, " he cut me off sharply. I was still lost on why he didn't want me to call him leader. A few days ago he did, so what changed now?

"Okay, " I mumurmed, stepping away from him.

He cleared his throat to stop me. "I, uh, like your shoes."

I was taken aback by his words. Was he trying to flirt with me or–

"Are you trying to distract me, River?" I narrowed my eyes at him, but he quickly shook his head.

"Not at all. What makes you think that?"

"Where are you even going?"

"Uh, the bathroom, " River answered hastily, slightly nervous. "What, I can't use the bathroom anymore?"

"You hesitated, " I pointed out.

River shrugged nonchalantly. "So, what? You bumped into me and interrupted my thoughts. I forgot for a second."

"You never use the bathrooms in the dorms section. You have your own private bathroom in your room and in your office. You gave me a tour, remember?" I said; he nodded.

"That's true, but I decided to try these bathrooms out."

I gave him a flat look. "You're lying. You are trying to distract me. Get out of my way, River."

"Okay, wait, " he sighed.

"What?"

"I–I wanted to warn you."

"Warn me? About what?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows. River took a quick look around before leaning closer to me.

"My father wanted you in this organization for a reason. He thinks you have potential and that you're one of the strongest people alive so far. So if you do anything that makes him think otherwise, you won't be as pampered as you are now. You're walking on thin ice, Blair, " he whispered.

I frowned at his words. "I am not being pampered."

"Oh, yes. You are, " River chuckled. "He's saving you for something, which is why he doesn't allow you to go out on difficult missions. I may be the leader, but I'm still learning from my father. I don't even know what my father's plan is. All I know is that you're a key part of it."

"Well...what do I do, then?"

"Continue training and keep getting stronger. You need to prove to him that you're worthy."

I nodded before looking at him, gulping. "Why are you helping me, River?"

He met my eyes and I felt my heart pound. His dark green eyes held an emotion I wasn't familiar with, but desperately wanted to know.

"I...don't know, " River said quietly. Before I could reply, he walked away, leaving me flustered in the hallway.