XIV

The conference turned out to be long and boring.

  All we had talked about were new equipment, upcoming missions, groups, training, ranks, improvements, and suggestions for new assassins. The only thing that really stood out for me was the ceremony.

  The ceremony in which River would officially become the leader. Totally looking forward to that.

Besides the ceremony, I also found interest in the ranks. Little interest but interest, nonetheless. Alexander had already told me before the conference started that I was the best.

  However, hearing and seeing are two different things. And seeing my name next to number one proved my point.

  "What are you thinking about?" Cody asked as we sat on the kitchen counters, eating ice cream. We weren't exactly allowed in the cafeteria after nightfall, but no one really cared. At least, not when it came to ice cream.

  "Something Alexander told me, " I mumbled.

  "What'd he say?"

  "River and I are going to start training together now."

  Their eyes widened. "What? Why?"

  Sam, though, had a whole different reaction.

  "YES! THE SHIP IS SAILING! I REPEAT, THE SHIP IS SAILING!" she cheered while we watched her, confused.

  "Shush! We're not supposed to be here, remember?" Drake whispered harshly, but Sam simply grinned.

  "Here's an idea: how about we take the ice cream containers and eat in Blair's room instead?" Cody suggested.

  Sam gasped. "That was the smartest thing I've ever heard you say, Cody!"

  "I'm still waiting for yours."

  "Okay, " I laughed. "Let's get going before we wake everyone up."

  Drake quickly grabbed one more ice cream container before following behind us. We all sat on my bed, ate lots of ice cream, and watched Netflix.

  I fell asleep happy, but somewhere inside of me, I had a bad feeling about tomorrow.

It had been two weeks of nonstop training with River.

Even though we were spending much more time together, we spoke to each other very rarely. It was as if we were strangers or simply professionals helping each other. Not willingly, of course. It was all because of Alexander.

  Strangely, River seemed to be more hardworking than usual. I tried to talk to him about it, but he wouldn't budge. My guess was he was feeling pressured about claiming his 'throne', so to speak.

Maybe that was why he was training more, too. Perhaps he wanted to be as fit as possible for his ceremony and it must help him blow off some steam.

Thankfully, River decided to stay locked up in his office this morning. I was going to relax all day, but before I could, I found an envelope with my name on it. It seemed like it had been slipped under my door.

I reluctantly opened it and pulled out the letter.

  Dear Miss Blair,

I would be very pleased if you could accompany me outside for a walk. We have some urgent business to discuss and I'd like to speak with you about it in private. When you awaken, please come directly to the back of the building. I'll be there. Please and thank you, Blair.

Sincerely,
Alexander LX

Sighing, I ate a granola bar I had saved a few days ago and changed into something casual yet comfortable. Then, I made my way to the back of the building as instructed.

  And there was Alexander.

  "Good morning, Miss Blair. Lovely to see you. You look well. How are you?" he greeted.

  "Lovely to see you, too. I'm fine, but slightly worried about this urgent business."

  "I see. I'll explain outside."

  I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "Outside?"

  Alexander nodded before leading me to a locked door. He pressed in the combination; it scanned his hand. Finally, a small box popped out and Alexander reached inside it. He pulled out a key, which opened the door.

"That is some mighty fine security, " I murmured and he chuckled.

"Follow me, Blair, " Alexander guided me outside and I looked around. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

There was a beach. Behind the building. A building where assassins live.

  "Beautiful, isn't it? It's amazing at sunset, " Alexander commented while I gawked at the scene in front of me.

  Shaking my head, I reminded myself why he brought me here. "Please explain, Alexander, the meaning of your letter."

  He took in a deep breath. "It's about my son."