XXXVII

River's POV:

I stand up, carrying her in my arms, and search for Wilbur. My ears block out the sobs as I hold in my sobs too.

"Wilbur!" I shout and he runs to me.

"Y-yes, Leader?" Wilbur avoids eye contact and stares at the ground.

"Look at me." I order, making him gulp. He slowly lifts his head and locks eyes with me.

I step towards him. "You need to make that cure right now."

"I-I can't! And even I could, it wouldn't work now."

Blood rushes through my body and my jaw clenches.

"My wife is dead! Dead! You need to help me save her! I swear, Wilbur, if she doesn't live, you won't either." I growl and his eyes widen.

"I..." He trembles. "I'll do the best I can, Leader."

I give him a threatening look. "Then do it now."

"Yes, Leader." Wilbur runs off to the lab and I turn to everybody. Alexis' sobs into Cody's shoulder while Sam and Drake cry together. Cody eventually breaks and holds Alexis tightly. The rest of the cafeteria is in complete shock, some are even bawling their eyes out too.

She certainly made an impression on everyone... And she will continue to, because she will live.

"Everyone who works in the lab or thinks can help, go to the lab and find anything that'll make her survive." I say and they sit there, staring at me. "Go, Assassins! Now!"

They instantly run away and I sigh. I look at her in my arms, my breath hitching. Even when her heart stops beating, she still has an effect on mine.

I turn, ready to run to the lab for results. But Alexis stops me.

"What are you going to do, River?" She cries. "You can't revive the dead!"

I advance towards her and lift up her chin. "Alexis, I will do everything and anything possible for her. I won't give up. You shouldn't either." I look at the rest of them. "None of you should. Blair is counting on you guys. You love her, don't you?"

They nod without a doubt.

"Then don't give up. Do it for Blair."

Sam stands, wiping away her tears. "I'm with you, Leader. I'll help in any way I can."

"Me too." Cody agrees.

"Of course. I need my food girl." Drake says, pressing the Nutella bottle to his heart.

Alexis sniffles, nodding. "I'm in."

"Okay." I give them encouraging looks. "Then let's go to the lab and save her."

We run to the lab and I lay her down on the bed, the same one from when Wilbur took her blood for a test. Some doctors come and use the defibrillation on her but to no avail.

Someone puts a hand on my shoulder. "Are you alright, son?"

"No, dad." I say roughly. "I'm not."