XVIII

Blair's POV:

"Hey, Blair! Over here!" Sam yells out and River nods at me. I walk to her and see Cody and Drake too.

"Hi."

"BA, do you know what this is about? I heard our leader is gonna tell everyone something important." Sam questions and I bite my lip.

"Uh, how about we just wait and see?"

"Wait, see, and eat." Drake winks, handing me a bag of Doritos, and I smile at him.

  "You get me, Drake."

  "And you get me."

  "Get married already!" Cody jokes and I force a laugh.

  "I'm good, thanks." I gulp and munch on the Doritos nervously. They begin to talk about possibilities of what River is going to tell everyone while I stand there awkwardly.

  But then a microphone sounds through the room, the voice of my fiancé filling my ears.

  "Hello, assassins."

  "Leader." Everyone says but I stay silent. Yeah...that's never gonna happen.

  "I have called you all here for a very special announcement." River clears his throat and I feel like mine is clogged.

"As you all know, my ceremony will take place soon."

Wow, is it hot in here or is it just me?

"I'll officially be leader in four months on one condition."

  Oh God, was there something in the Doritos?

  "To be leader..." River pauses, everyone in suspense, "I will have to marry a woman."

  Everyone gasps and quiet whispers sound through the cafeteria.

  "A woman? Who?"

  "It has to be me!"

  "Me! Me! I love you, my leader!"

  "Who'd want to marry him?"

  I almost punch the guy who says that. What? I find that offensive considering I'm the one who's going to marry him.

"My father has chosen the woman and I'll be marrying her in a month. Before I reveal who this woman is, let me clear something up first." River says and I furrow my eyebrows.

  What? Where's this coming from? What is this guy doing? Oh, I'm gonna die from so much thinking.

  "As leader, everyone shall respect and do as I order." He starts, "My wife shall receive the same respect. Anyone who disrespects her will be treated as if they disrespected me, your leader. Understood?"

  Everyone nods vigorously and I refrain myself from opening my mouth wide like a hippopotamus. Respect? Alexander didn't say anything about that.

  I regard Alexander and he also looks just as confused as I am. So that means this is all River...he wants everyone to respect me.

  My heart beats at a faster pace.

  "Now, let me introduce you to my fiancée..." He eyes the crowd and I lock eyes with him. A small smile appears on his face and I take an unsteady breath.

  "Assassins, meet my fiancée." River stares straight at me, "Blair, can you up here?"

  Almost instantly the crowd splits as a path for me. I gulp and slowly walk to the front. River takes my hand and helps me stand beside him.

  He doesn't let go of my hand as he says, "My fiancée, Blair. The best assassin in this organization will be my wife. We shall lead this organization together...forever."