~8~

Meredith

"Oh, Meredith, let me get your number really quickly!" Matt says, stopping before he fully walks out the door. I grit my teeth, but smile and unlock my phone before handing it to him. He hands me his in exchange.

I take seconds entering my contact information, simply putting my initials instead of my full name. Matt passes my phone back to me, and I give him his back before Shawn leans in and gives me one last hug, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Feel better, Mer. I'll see you soon. Text me if you need anything." He says sweetly, almost as if it was real.

"Thanks, Shawn." I smile. I don't even wait until they are off the front porch before I shut the front door behind them and lock it, trying to process what just happened.

I had been friends with Matt for a while when I had lived in Nebraska. We met at a cliff near my house. 

*flashback*

Fear coursed through my veins as I looked down the edge of the steep cliff, the dark wind whipping through my blonde hair. I held my bruised ribs tightly, replaying the last ten minutes in my mind. Everything in my body screamed in pain.

I whipped around quickly as I started hearing footsteps behind me, thinking he had found me.

"Don't."

The single word came from a dark figure pushing through the harsh winds.

"What?" I replied. My breathing picked up as the figure came closer.

"Please don't jump." He slowly got close enough to me that I could tell he was about my age.

"Why shouldn't I?" I asked. He gently grabbed my arm, his fingers gripping on tightly.

"It's not worth it. Listen to me, please." His voice was soothing, and so familiar.

A car passed, the lights illuminating his structured face for a only second. But the second was enough.

"Matthew?" I knew him from school. He had the reputation that every guy would want. Tough and a total sporty guy. Every girl was gaga over him. Except for me.

"Meredith, please." He repeated, sincerity evident in his voice.

"You don't know what's going on." I mumbled, getting defensive. I tried to jerk my arm away, but his grip was tight.

"No, I don't. Just go back home, Meredith."

"I- I can't." I embarrassingly started to cry, tears spilling onto my cheeks.

"Well, then come home with me. We have an extra guest room, and I can drive you back home tomorrow. You'll be safe there. With me." He pulled me into him, hugging me tightly. My bruises groaned in protest.

Even though I was a little scared of the thought of being at someone else's house, I trusted Matthew. I really trusted him.

"Oh-okay." I stuttered.

*end of flashback*

Matt was there for me in the toughest times with my dad. Until he left me without any warning. I was convinced I would never see him again. But here he is showing up with my fake boyfriend. It's so weird. Seeing him again, hearing his voice after one of the worst times in my life.

I pull out my phone to text him.

4:23 pm
From Meredith; To Matthew
Hey, would you want to meet somewhere tomorrow? I have some things I'd like to talk to you about. In private.

(Aye new POV)
Matthew

"I don't know, Shawn. I don't know what's bugging me. I'm just crazy jet lagged already." I repeat, defensively throwing my hands up as I lean back in the passenger seat.

I'm lying straight through my teeth. I know exactly what's bugging me. And it's the fact that I just went to Meredith's house. She's changed. I don't know if it was because she was sick, or what it was, but she was different.

"I call bull, but whatever." Shawn laughs as he changes lanes. My phone vibrates in my hand, and I look down to see a text from Meredith.

"Yeah, yeah." I mumble, unlocking my phone to text her back.

"Awe, is that Mercedes?" Shawn pesters. I shake my head and laugh, heat flooding into my cheeks.

4:24 PM
From Matthew: To Meredith
Sure, when and where?

Shawn pulls into his driveway and as I climb out of the car, Meredith responds.

4:24 PM
From Meredith; To Matthew
There's a park a couple blocks from my house. Meet me there at ten tomorrow morning.

I quickly respond with a short 'ok'.

"You seem really into that conversation, Matt." Shawn teases, snapping me out of my train of thought.

"Not really, I'm just jet lagged." I say again, coming up with a lie off the top of my head. I have a feeling I'm going to be using this lie while I have to pretend I don't know Meredith.

I've found myself weaving a huge web of lies. Once you get in, you can't get out.

"Oh, okay. Well, I'm pretty tired too, so I'm going to go lay down for about an hour. Andrew will be here soon to discuss my relationship with Meredith." Shawn yawns. I nod and kick off my shoes, walking myself to the guest bedroom and throwing myself onto the bed.

I should probably message Mercedes, since Shawn reminded me earlier. Plus, she wanted to know when I got to Shawn's safely. I pull up her message thread.

4:30 pm
From Matthew; To Mercy
Hey, baby. I'm at Shawn's.

It takes her less than a minute to respond, giving me just enough time to slide under the sheets on the bed.

4:30 pm
From Mercy; To Matthew
God, I miss you already.

I blush and lock my phone, but something keeps nagging at me in my mind. I immediately unlock my phone again and look at the messages between Meredith and I, staring at the conversation for a good twenty seconds before deciding to text her.

4:31 pm
From Matthew; To Meredith
Look, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I brought up the situation with your dad.

I feel like I have to apologize. I know I hurt her feelings bringing it up again, especially since I left her in the middle of it all with no warning. But I had no way to tell her I was leaving without her freaking out. She could have wanted to come with me.

She reads the message, but never even begins to respond, so I close the app and shut my phone off. Impatience has always been a weak point for me. All I can do is wait for tomorrow morning.

£•£•£•£•£
A/N:
{Edited}

Hey, so this chapter sucks, I know. I'm so sorry, I feel horrible but I needed to update. But now you know the backstory behind Matt and Meredith. And Mercedes was introduced... But yeah!