Cheating The Deck {2}

I pushed open the front door of the house, creeping in and nearly stumbling against the wall. I hadn't managed to get drunk, just buzzed enough to not notice that my idiot friends had left their shoes thrown about the hallway.

I closed the door and walked towards the kitchen, almost expecting Alexis to be there. But of course he wasn't there. He was off in some shitty ass apartment with a five year old kid that wasn't even related to him, fucking his boyfriend and forgetting about the guys he'd called his family for years.

Grabbing myself a glass, I poured water and chugged it. I went upstairs, glaring at Alexis's old bedroom as I passed by it.

I went into my bedroom and stripped down to my boxers, dropping onto my bed. I slung an arm over my eyes, lying in the darkness.

It wouldn't have mattered whether or not I'd come home. The guys here wouldn't notice if I was gone. Hell, I could be dead and they wouldn't even know it.

I wonder if my father knows I'm gone.

I rolled over, pulling a pillow over my head. How stupid. Of course my father would notice that his only child had been missing for five years. After all, he'd noticed when his wife pulled a vanishing act.

There had always been a desire in me, a need to go online and search my own name, to see if anyone had ever tried to find me. But I would never give into that urge. I didn't care about my deadbeat family.

Closing my eyes, I focused on the light buzz from the alcohol, that little pounding in my head that I wished would erupt into a roar. I didn't want to think anymore.

***

"How much money did you waste last night?" Ike asked as I came into the kitchen.

"Can you wait until I've been awake for more than five minutes before you start bitching?" I said, sitting down and rubbing my eyes.

"No. How much?" Ike repeated.

"None. Do you see how good I look? I don't need to buy my own drinks," I said, smirking.

"You're also sleazy as hell," Jer said, entering the kitchen and leaning against the counter. "I bet you're that asshole that tricks drunks into buying you drinks." He snickered. "I'm not surprised though; there's no low you wouldn't drop to just for a few drinks."

"Oh, harsh," I said, propping my elbow up on the table and resting my cheek against the palm of my hand. "It's not my fault you look like a horse stomped on your face when you hit puberty."

"Are they already starting? Didn't they just wake up?" Christian asked as he entered the kitchen.

"Just reminding my friend Jericho here that he looks like roadkill," I said cheerfully. "This is why they warn women not to do all those drugs while pregnant."

"Get your facts straight, kid. My mom wasn't a junkie until I was six," Jer said, sitting on the counter. "Unlike your mother, mine didn't want to fuck me up in the womb."

"Will you both shut up?" Ike said. He poured himself a glass of water and leaned against the counter. "Jer, give me a ride to work. I don't feel like biking."