Cheating The Deck {23}

It was pouring rain outside and everyone was locked away in their bedrooms. Thunder grumbled, breaking through the monotonous sound of rain beating down.

                I anxiously paced my room, hating storms. I'd been afraid of them as a child and my fear had gotten worse once I'd run away and been forced to stay outside during them.

                Unable to take the sound of the storm anymore, I left my bedroom and went to Jer's room. I pushed the door open without bothering to knock.

                "Fucking knock!" Jer snapped, tossing a comic book down to the floor.

                "Nah, I like busting in to catch you in a nerdy moment," I said.

                He glared, kicking the comic under his bed. Jer hated his love for comics because it clashed with his tough guy act. But he had the biggest collection of comics I'd ever seen, and he'd stashed them away in his room when he moved out of his parents' house.

                "What the fuck do you want, Ace? I'm not going to hold your hand and comfort you through the storm. You're 21. Get over your damn fear," he said in annoyance.

                "Play cards with me," I said. "I'm bored."

                "You wouldn't be bored if you didn't chase off everyone in your life," he grumbled.

                "I'm bored too." Ike stepped up next to me, causing me to jump in surprise. "Let's just play cards in the kitchen. We've got nothing better to do. Besides, if the power goes out in this storm, we won't have anything else to do anyways."

                Jer spit out more cuss words as he climbed off of his bed. Sometimes I was impressed by the string of profanities Jer could weave together. If there was a tournament for cussing, Jer would be the world champion.

                He and I went downstairs together as Ike went to get Christian. We settled ourselves at the kitchen table after grabbing a deck of cards.

                Ike and Christian came downstairs and sat with us. I dealt out the cards and we began to play, the storm continuing outside. Rain was assaulting the windows and the thunder was so loud now that the house was shaking with it.

                "Two threes," Christian said, tossing down cards.

                "Bullshit," Jer said.

                Christian reached over and flipped the cards. "Enjoy the addition to your hand, Jericho."

                "Fuck you," Jer said, gathering the cards and arranging them in his hands.

                "Don't get mad at me. I'm pretty sure Ace has been lying through his teeth this whole game," Christian said with a shrug.

                "When isn't Ace lying through his teeth?" Ike said, grabbing a card from his hand and tossing it onto the table. "One four."

                "I'm offended," I said, tipping back in my chair and tossing down three cards. "Three fives."

                "Might as well call it. You already have half the deck," Christian said.

                "Fuck you. I don't have any threes. You call it if you think he's lying," Jer said, flicking down his cards. "Two sixes."