Cheating The Deck {19}

I cracked my eyes open, looking around Jack's room. He was asleep next to me, his arm lazily slung over my torso.

                "Hey," I said, elbowing him.

                He grunted and buried his face against the pillow. "It's too early to be alive. Go back to being dead."

                I elbowed him again. "Rise and shine, princess."

                He picked his head up and glared at me through tired eyes. "What? What do you want? I was sleeping, asshole."

                "Not anymore," I said, sitting up. He let his arm slide from my torso. "Is Delaney home?"

                "How should I know? You've been awake longer than I have," he grumbled, dropping his head back onto the pillow.

                "Sure, let me go strutting out of your bedroom so he can see me. I'd love to tell him about last night," I said, grinning.

                "Stop making it sound like we had sex. We just made out," Jack said, rolling over and rubbing his eyes.

                "We could have sex," I said, kissing his neck.

                He shoved my head away. "Oh no, I don't fuck guys who wake me up this early in the morning."

                He sat up and leaned against the headboard, rubbing his eyes again. He reached over and grabbed my phone off of his nightstand, tossing it to me.

                "Your friends kept texting and calling," he said.

                I opened it and saw that I did have a bunch of texts and missed calls from the guys I lived with. They kept going through the night, asking me where I was, if I was alive, saying that if I was dead they got my room, shit like that.

                I locked my phone and set it down because I didn't know how else to feel right now. Had they actually been worried about me?

                Jack put his hand on my shoulder. "Shocking, isn't it? Who knew that many people actually gave a shit about your annoying ass."

                I shoved him. "Shut up, Jackass."

                "What are we, Ace?" he asked.

                "Tired."

                "Okay, smartass."

                "There's a lot of ass mentioning this morning."

                "It's the only ass you're getting. Now, what are we?"

                "Confused."

                Jack sighed. "Ain't that the damn truth." He looked up at the ceiling. "Do you have work today?"

                I shook my head. "Nah. I have today and tomorrow off."

                "Let's go on a date, I guess. No better way to find out whether or not we have a chance." He shot me a bitter grin. "Also, I'm not going to turn a blind eye to your faults. Making out with you doesn't change the fact that I know you're dangerous."

                "You know what's dangerous? Delaney finding us in bed together," I said.

                "He's probably hungover at his friend's house," Jack said, getting out of bed. "But just in case, I'll check."