Cheating The Deck {14}

I set my bike in the garage and closed it, heading into the house. Jer wasn't on the front porch, which was rare.

                I pulled out my phone, pressing Delaney's contact. I held the phone to my ear as it rang, kicking my shoes off.

                "Hey Ace," he answered.

                "Hey, I just got back from work. I'm going to shower. I'll be ready in 15 minutes," I said.

                "Okay! I'll let Jack and Nico know!" he said. "We'll be there in a little."

                I hung up the phone, slipping it into my pocket. If I showered fast enough, I'd probably have time to eat something. I was starving.

                "Where are you going?"

                I glanced over at Ike. "Out."

                "Out where, Ace?" he said.

                "That is none of your business," I said, starting up the stairs.

                "You're getting yourself into trouble, aren't you?" he said.

                "Maybe I'm just making friends who will actually mourn me," I said, a dangerous grin curling my lips, my eyes challenging Ike.

                "There's only so much sympathy you can have for someone who dug their own grave," Ike said before walking away.

                I went the rest of the way up the stairs and into my room, grabbing clean clothes. I went into the bathroom, stripping and getting into the shower, washing myself quickly before getting out and redressing.

                After towel drying my hair and pulling my beanie back on, I went down to the kitchen, phone in hand and wallet tucked securely into my pocket. Christian, Ike, and Jer were sitting around the table eating pasta.

                I grabbed a fork and began to pick at their plates. Jer smacked the fork out of my hand in annoyance.

                "Make your own food," he snapped.

                "I'm leaving soon and I haven't eaten since this morning," I said, plucking a piece of pasta off his plate and tossing it into my mouth.

                "Where the hell are you going? It's almost ten," Jer said, narrowing his eyes at me.

                "Don't worry mom, I'll be a good boy," I said, smirking.

                My phone buzzed and I checked it. I had a new text from Delaney, announcing that he was in the driveway.

                I snatched a small handful of pasta off Jer's plate, ducking out of the way when he moved to hit me. I laughed and left the house, ignoring Jer as he yelled curse words after me.

                I got into the back of the car in the driveway. Delaney was in the backseat, Jack was driving, and some guy I didn't know was in the passenger seat.

                "This is Nico, our housemate," Delaney introduced. "Nico, this is Ace."

                "Nice to meet you," Nico said.

                "You're only saying it's nice because you haven't actually heard him talk yet," Jack said.

                "I think I have a lovely voice, thank you very much," I said.