Chapter 4

Daniel

With a smile, I opened the door of the taxi for her and helped her to seat herself and her sleeping child.

I gave directions to the taxi driver and the taxi took off..

A few minutes later, Tiara asked again, "Who is Narissa?"

I sighed and remained silent.

"My fiancée," I replied gloomily after a minute or so.

"Oh, so you're engaged?" asked Tiara.

"Yeah," I said blandly.

"So, when are you getting married?" she inquired.

"I have no idea."

"Why? Haven't you fixed a date for your wedding yet?"

"Not exactly."

"Why do you sound dull? Aren't you happy about your wedding?"

"Well, if you had to marry a person like Narissa, you would know why I'm dreading it."

"Narissa... the name sounds familiar... do I know her?"

"Of course you'll know her! Perhaps even every single person in this whole wide world knows her! Pop singer Narissa Eliza, she's been composing some of the best song albums worldwide for 4 years now! Of course you'll know her!"

"Oh yeah! Now I remember! Narissa Eliza! Oh my gosh! I can't believe you're getting married to Narissa Eliza! I used to love her songs... but I haven't heard her songs on the radio lately since I've come to San Diego. You know, Daniel, I've always admired her! She has such a beautiful voice; and I love the essence of her songs. I've been her fan ever since I heard her very first album! I can't believe you're actually getting married to her!"

"Her songs are really good, I agree. And her voice is amazing definitely... But be glad you don't know her."

"Why not? Why're you so... Why don't you like her? You're engaged to her and yet, you talk like as though you don't even like her! What's your problem?"

"Well, if you knew her, you'd know why I'm dreading my wedding."

"Why? What's wrong with her?"

I just shook my head, without saying a word.

"Please tell me, what's wrong with her? Why don't you like her?" asked Tiara.

"Well, let me tell you one thing, you will never be able to meet a person as childish as her. Talking to her is almost like talking to a twelve year old, for God's sake! Seriously, I can't imagine her as my wife! Gosh! Each time I think about her, I'm having nightmares!" I confessed.

Tiara remained silent for a while.

Mila, who had been asleep on Tiara's shoulder, started to stir.

"Mommy?" she whispered, as she rubbed her eyes.

"Mila? You woke up, honey? Come, let me give you some medicine, dear," said Tiara.

"Mommy?" Mila asked again softly as she squinted at Tiara and then turned to see me, while squinting at me, sleepily and rubbing her eyes.

I smiled at her.

"Daddy?" she asked softly.

I frowned a bit.

Tiara remained silent.

"Mommy, Daddy?" Mila asked again. Tiara groaned.

Mila rubbed her eyes and remained silent for a few seconds, still squinting at me.