Epilogue

Darien Caruso

TWO YEARS LATER

"Here, Daddy, catch!" squealed Mila.

I caught the ball as it came my way before throwing it back to her, with a smile.

As Mila ran after the ball to catch it, I glanced at Tiara, who was seated in her wheelchair nearby.

Tiara was still alive. It was a relief but it still hurt me to see her in the state she was. Tiara was paralysed on her left side. With a blank face, she was always unresponsive to anything anyone spoke anytime, even though I spoke to her every day and night. She needed motivation and that, I made sure to give abundantly.

There were definitely improvements in her, after all the regular occupational and physical therapies. She moved at times; her right limbs tried to move her left ones. But whenever she felt me watching her, she would turn still again. I don't know the reason why she has been hiding her movements from me. But I trust her reasons; I believe she doesn't want me to see her struggling so I'm waiting for the day she is ready to show me her improvement.

She can hear us. I know she can; her expressions change at times when listening to Mila. I've caught her watching Mila with a half-smile often.

Mila... I'm so lucky to have got an understanding daughter like her. She wants to see the improvement in her mother's condition as much as I do. She listens to me when I speak to Tiara and echoes my words to her when I leave them together, even if it was just for a few seconds.

Unfortunately, whenever I see Mila, I remember Tiara's wish to have lots of children. She had a lonely childhood until she met Ray. She wanted to have more than a few children, so that her children would never feel the loneliness she felt in her childhood. I don't know if that dream will ever come true but I can only think about it the day Tiara is ready for it. Till then, I can only make sure Mila never feels lonely by ensuring that she is always surrounded by family or friends.

Ray had been sentenced to five years in state prison. Two years have elapsed; just another three more years left before he will be released. I believe he would have changed by then. If not for the blood we share that flows through his veins, at least for the care Tiara has showered on him. She cared for him like he was her own baby when she was still a child.

We both want him to turn over a new leaf into a good person. And this time he returns, I'm sure he will say sorry to her, even if not to me. I never knew how to show how much I care for him; I still don't. I hope Tiara would be much better by then to show him the care he craves. With Tia, I want to help him begin life afresh, getting a good job and finding the one who will reciprocate his love.

"Daddy, you didn't catch the ball!" Mila's voice drew me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry, baby. I'll get it." My mobile phone buzzed inside my pocket as I turned, looking for the ball. I checked to see a missed call from Isma. "One minute, baby."

I called Isma back while Mila ran to get the ball; Isma answered the call instantly.

"Hello, Isma."

"Hi, Darry. Mom's asking if you'll be coming for dinner."

"Of course we will. What a question? Today's a special day for Rina, we'll surely be there."

"Alright, Darry. Bye."

"Bye, Isma." I disconnected the call to see Mila bouncing the ball while waiting for me patiently.

A little distance away, I noticed Narissa seated at a bench, in the same park, lost in thoughts as she watched her adopted daughter playing on the slide. An unfamiliar man approached her.