Chapter 6

Tiara Qaleesya

Knock! Knock! Knock!

I froze as I heard someone knocking on the bedroom door. Someone opened the door.

"Rissa, Uncle Harris called just now, asking if you forgot you've gotta go to the pub tonight. He seemed irritated, okay," said Rina, Daniel's younger sister.

Narissa quickly glanced at her watch. "Oops, I'm awfully late! Dad's gonna be mad! Alright, Tiara, bye! See you tomorrow! Bye, Rina!" cried Narissa. I heard her footsteps as she left the room.

"Narissa! Wait a minute!" called out Isma to her.

"What's this?" asked Narissa.

"Dinner. Mom made some extra specially for you and Uncle Harris, so you won't have to eat from a restaurant tonight, at least," explained Isma.

"Aww, that's so sweet of Aunt Laura. Where is she? Tell her she's the best aunt in the whole wide world! Thank you very much for the dinner! Bye, Isma, bye, Rina, see you guys tomorrow!" squealed Narissa, before she left.

"Mom's in the kitchen. I'll tell her your message, bye, Narissa!" called out Isma to her.

***

The next day was a Sunday, so everyone in Daniel's family stayed home the whole morning. I noticed that no one had brought up the topic about me staying here to Daniel after the conversation that had ensued when I had first arrived here. Narissa and Uncle Harris came over around later that morning. Narissa, Mila, Rina, Daniel and I played simple blindfold games as I was blind, in their effort to keep Mila busy.

We had lots of fun, I couldn't deny. The last time I had played games like this, feeling so happy, had been the times when Rats had been with me before my engagement to Darien. I still missed those special moments I had shared with Rats.

That evening, I sat in the garden behind Daniel's house, smiling to myself, thinking about how much I had enjoyed myself that morning.

"Tiara? What're you doing here all alone?" I was startled when I heard Uncle Harris's voice somewhere in front of me.

"Oh... umm... they were here a few minutes ago, I mean, Daniel, Mila, Narissa and Rina. I didn't know they had gone. They must have gone back into the house, Uncle," I replied.

"Ah yeah, I saw them inside the house when I came out just now," Uncle Harris paused, "Tiara... uh... Tiara, don't be offended, I know you're blind and you've come in search of your husband... but you just don't belong here... you don't belong in this house. I'm sorry but your stay here is not welcome. I'm really sorry, Tiara, but people in our neighbourhood have been asking about you and Daniel since this morning. Some are even suspecting whether you're his wife, Tiara, that's the problem.

You should know that in less than six weeks, my daughter, Narissa, will be getting married to Daniel. She's my only daughter and her marriage is very important to me. I don't think it's a good idea for you to be staying here just a few weeks before their marriage. Here, you can have this blank cheque. Take how much money you want from my bank account and leave this place as soon as you can, Tiara."

I just stared straight ahead, unsure of what to say or do, as Uncle Harris placed a cheque on my hand.

After a minute or so, I heard Daniel's voice nearby, "Tiara, what are you doing here all alone?"

Daniel took the cheque from my hand.

"A blank cheque? Did Uncle Harris give you this? I saw him walking back into the house just now, and I was wondering what he was doing here. What did he tell you?" inquired Daniel.