Chapter 14

Daniel

"Darien, that is my daughter, Tiara." I heard a familiar voice.

"Yes, Father," I answered.

I was standing with Father outside the gate of his house. I looked in the direction in which he was pointing and recognized her. Tiara.... Wearing a floral dress, she was seated on a bench in the lawn outside her house, reading a novel. The last time I had seen her was with Mother and Father before, when we were young. But she appeared very different now; grownup, elegant and absolutely gorgeous. I wondered if she would recognize me after all these years.

"That boy with her is your brother," spoke Father. I glanced at Father before looking at Tiara. Raymond had snatched the novel from her hands and was running away as Tiara chased after him. They were laughing as they ended up chasing each other.

"Ray." I said as Father turned to face me.

"Yes, but your brother has chosen the wrong path, Darien. When I adopted you, I offered to adopt him as well. But your father said that he wanted at least one of you to be with him. He chose Ray and I thought he would look after Ray well. But being a workaholic, your father never bothered about your brother. And by the time I realized, it was too late. I caught Ray stealing many times. I warned him and your father each time; I thought he would stop Ray but he did nothing. Now, your father is no more; I'm worried about Ray. Yesterday, I caught Ray exchanging a bag of cash for another bag with some men from San Diego. He disappears from here sometimes and returns only after a whole day, giving some excuse or the other to Tiara. I speculate he may be having some wrong dealings in San Diego. He refuses to listen to my advice. If there's anyone who may be able to change him now, that will be the police. Try to get some records against him and let the police deal with him before it's too late. He will only realize when he gets into serious trouble with the police. I know you are his brother but the only way you can help him now is by making him realize the punishment he will get for all these wrong dealings."

I felt a lump in my throat as I said, "Yes, Father." Ray had chosen the wrong path. Had Father not adopted me, I may have turned out like Ray today. No! I would not have. I know the difference between right and wrong. I would have chosen the right path and I might have been able to show Ray the right path too. But just like Father said, it was too late now.

"And one more thing, Tiara knows nothing about Ray's misdeeds. She trusts him too much. I tried talking to her about him once but she refused to listen to me. As far as she is concerned, she thinks he is innocent and will not believe us unless she sees his misdeeds for herself. But till then, I fear that her life may also be in danger as Ray is always with her. I am thinking along the lines of getting Tiara married as soon as possible. I want her to leave New Orleans as soon as she can. You will be posted at Seattle in a few months, isn't it? Before you go, I want you to marry Tiara and take her with you to Seattle."

I froze and stared at Father in disbelief.

"You don't have any problem with that, do you?" prodded Father. "You will definitely be able to protect her from any problem she may have to face because of Ray."

"No, Father. I have no problem with anything you say." I assured sincerely. I would even lay down my life for Father and Mother if I had to. They adopted me, looked after me and tended to my needs all these years; I could never pay them back for all that they have done for me. If they had not adopted me, I would have lived my life in some orphanage. Besides, they had saved me from going astray into the wrong path like Ray. I would definitely do anything they asked of me.

"Good."

I watched Tiara as she was caressed a kitten in her arms before sharing a smile with Ray. Would she agree to marry me? Would she agree wholeheartedly or would she just agree for the sake of her parents?