Chapter 10

Daniel

More than two months had passed after my wedding. Isma had delivered a healthy baby boy, Neil, and was enjoying being pampered by Mom and Dad as she was still staying with us.

I was waiting patiently in my room for Narissa to return after she had left the room to iron my shirt that morning. I heard a creak as the door opened and Narissa entered the room, closing the door behind her.

Narissa walked towards me and passed me the warm shirt with a smile, saying, "You're ready earlier than usual today."

I smiled as I quickly slipped my hands into the sleeves and buttoned up my shirt while Narissa watched my reflection through the mirror in front of us with a smile.

Ready to leave for work, I glanced at the clock. I still had more than five minutes to spare for my wife.

"So, where shall we go today?" I inquired softly as I embraced her from behind.

Narissa raised her eyebrow, still looking at my reflection in the mirror, taken aback by my question.

"Where shall we go to celebrate my darling wife's birthday today?"

Narissa smiled a bit as she looked up at me standing behind her, through the mirror in front of us, saying, "Wherever you take me."

"I'll get permission and come early this afternoon. You say, where do you wanna go?" I asked, as I turned her around to face me, still wrapped in my embrace.

"Shall we go out together for dinner? You decide which restaurant we'll go. I'm fine with any restaurant as long as I have you with me."

"Sure!"

"Alright. Since you're coming early this afternoon, will you do me a favour?"

"Of course, tell me, what is it?"

"I was thinking of asking you if I could go there today. But since you'll be home by afternoon, will you accompany me?"

"Yeah sure, tell me, where do you wanna go this afternoon?"

"Promise me, you'll accompany me, then I'll tell you."

"Of course, I'll accompany you."

"Promise?"

"Promise, my love."

"You know I brought Tiara to a friend of Isma's, who's an ophthalmologist, without your consent last time, right? And then, you were annoyed when you found out about it, remember? So, umm... he suggested that Tiara needs to undergo an eye surgery to restore her eyesight and he fixed the date for the eye surgery to be today. You'll accompany us to the hospital for her surgery, right?

I know you're gonna say 'why should we care about her' and all, but Daniel, she's like my sister, she's like my best friend to me. Who cares if she may be a prostitute or not? She's a nice person, that's all that matters to me. So, I really wanna help her. Her eye surgery will be this afternoon. You promised me that you'll accompany me this afternoon. You will, right?"

I sighed, showing Narissa my reluctance. I couldn't be bothered about Tiara or her secrets anymore.

Narissa gazed into my eyes beseechingly. How could I say no to her?

"Alright," I said and nodded in agreement.

Narissa smiled and kissed my cheek, before breaking out of my embrace, saying, "Come on, let's have breakfast or you'll be late for work."

***

That afternoon, I returned home after work at half past one. Tiara, Narissa and Mila were waiting after having their lunch since we had to reach the hospital in half an hour. I gobbled down my lunch before the four of us left to the hospital.