Chapter 11

Tiara Qaleesya

I had met the Sorrens family for the first time this evening when I returned to their home after my eye surgery. But I had felt like I was in a daze from the time I had entered their house till this moment as I was seated in my room in their house that night. Of course I could recognize my husband! There is no problem with my eyesight. And I was not hallucinating Darien. Daniel is Darien... my Darien. There is no doubt about that. My Darien was right here, so near to me. Yet he is not mine. From where had he gotten this family that was not his own? No one knew him and his family better than me. His father had been ready to dump him in an orphanage. It had been my parents who had stopped him and offered to adopt Darien. But my parents should have noticed Darien's younger brother, Raymond, as well. Then, Ray... my Rats... would have surely become a better person, and all of us would have been a perfect happy family. Unfortunately, that was never meant to be.

I sighed. What a lovely family Darien had now! An affectionate Dad, a doting Mom, adoring sisters, and lastly a loving wife. How had Darien become Daniel and become a part of this family? Darien had always been reserved, thoughtful and intense; but now he had become self-centred and arrogant, pampered by this family. His voice was coarse unlike before, perhaps due to the injuries he sustained in the accident two years ago. That accident snatched away his memory and landed him in the midst of this family. But what was their intention of bringing him into their house and showering him with all their love and care? I had to know....

I smiled at my daughter, who was sleeping peacefully next to me on the bed, hugging my hand. She had been right... she had been right all the while. Mila had identified her Daddy but it was I who had refused to believe her.

I cautiously got up, placing a pillow where my hand had been, so Mila would be able to sleep hugging the pillow. I left my room and heard Daniel and Rina having an argument in the kitchen as usual.

"Excuse me, you're scolding me? Did you forget that I'm your elder brother?" demanded Daniel.

"Nope, but you'll be in trouble if I tell Mom this," retorted Rina.

"Oh really? I've already told Mom, you know!"

Rina narrowed her eyes at Daniel as I walked into the kitchen. Daniel grinned and walked out of the kitchen without uttering another word upon noticing me.

I smiled at Rina, before asking, "Is there a day you guys don't quarrel?"

"Nope!" chirped Rina, "We love irritating each other."

"Wow! So have you and Daniel always been like this?" Of course her answer would be no! Her answer would be the proof that their Daniel was my Darien.

"Yup, we've always been like this!" No way, she had to be lying! "Well, of course I can't remember if we used to fight since I was a baby. But I remember once when I was 7, that was like twelve years ago, Mom and Dad went out, leaving the three of us, Isma, Danny and I at home one night. Danny and I were so bored of watching TV, we started irritating each other. We ended up running all over the house and Danny ended up in Mom and Dad's room. And he accidentally locked the door but couldn't unlock it. He was stuck in the room and none of us could open the door from the outside. So we waited till Mom and Dad came and they had to break down the lock. Danny and I really got scolded for that." Rina laughed.

I forced myself to smile. Rina spoke so easily that what she said had to be true. But twelve years ago, Darien was definitely under my parent's care. He certainly could not have been here. Then, how was he here now under the identity of Daniel?

"You know, Tiara, I'm so used to quarrelling with Daniel. I used to get irritated whenever we quarrelled before. But when he got hit by a bus in that accident two years ago, all I wished was that he would come back alive. I still loved my brother no matter how much I hated him for irritating me. That's why, now when we quarrel, I actually enjoy it. Because I'd rather have him here quarrelling with me than see him hurt and lifeless like he was for months after that accident. He really suffered a lot. It was a terrible accident." Rina sighed before saying, "Alright, Tiara, I gotta go. I have to prepare for a presentation tomorrow."