Chapter 19

Daniel

"Yes, Danny, I had checked your wallet thoroughly that day. I still have your wallet with me now. If you want, I'll show it to you. You can check and see for yourself."

"Where is it?"

"I'll get it from my room." Isma disappeared into her room and returned, holding an unfamiliar leather wallet.

I took the wallet from her and opened it to find only some dollar notes and coins inside. I emptied the contents of the wallet onto the table in the centre of the living room. Only the dollar notes and coins I had seen fell out of it. Damn it, there's nothing in this wallet that could help me remember my past!

"I can't remember anything!" I cried, hurling the wallet onto the floor in frustration.

A tiny piece of folded paper slipped out of the wallet as it landed near Mila's feet.

"Isma, I'm not sure why but I have a doubt that refuses to leave my mind. A doubt that I might be Darien Caruso." I paused. "How about conducting a DNA test? If my DNA matches with Mila's, that would mean I was Darien in my past."

"DNA test, Mila, of course! That would be enough to determine if you're Darien or not. How could I forget that! But if you're not Darien, then you still won't be able to know who you are."

"At least this doubt weighing down my mind would be cleared."

"Okay, I'll need Tiara's consent to conduct this DNA test on Mila. Wait, where is Tiara by the way?"

Before I could remember about Tiara, Mila interrupted our conversation with a question.

"Daddy, what is this thingy?" Mila picked up the tiny piece of folded paper from the floor.

I glanced at her and turned away, before turning back to her upon realizing that the piece of paper had fallen out of the wallet.

I took the piece of folded paper into my hands and unfolded it. It opened up into a piece of paper bigger than the size of my palm. A poem was written on it in pen.

Never got the love that I deserved,
But the hate, that for me, was reserved.
Helplessness overcomes me as I stare at the wall,
While from my worn out eyes; tears continuously fall.
Relatives by blood; I think I don't even have one,
After all the things my own father has done.

The only brother that I have; his heart is filled with hate,
When all I did in this life was to just compensate.
No one believes that my true intentions are pure,
For this disease of mistrust; there seems no cure.
I've been alone from the beginning up till now,
And my last hope has vanished away somehow.

There's nobody to listen to what resides in my heart,
Or how it bleeds due to words that stab like a dart.
Nobody to understand; what I think and feel,
That the love I still have; isn't fake but real.
How do I continue to wish for a better day;
When to illuminate the future; there's no light's ray?

Below the poem, there was another short one, written in a different handwriting.

To illuminate the future, I'll become your ray;
Your wish to live every moment of the day.
My love; I'm here to listen, whatever you want to say,
From now till forever; your every demon, I'll slay.
Your present and future; I'll fill with emotions of love,
Together at nights; we'll watch the stars above.
You're the only one; I will eternally love,
For you're my soul mate; a gift from the Heaven above.