Chapter 8

Daniel

The next day I returned home from work in the evening as usual. Rina opened the front door for me just as I was about to ring the doorbell. Strange... had she been awaiting my return?

"Hey, Danny," chirped Rina, grinning.

"Hey," I said as my eyes scanned the living room of my house. For a second, it appeared crowded to my perspective. Dad, Mom, Uncle Harris, Narissa, Isma, Tiara and Mila were all seated on the couches in the living room. I was bewildered to see Uncle Harris talking to Tiara with a smile on his face, while Mila was playing with his mobile phone. I thought he despised Tiara and Mila.

"Daniel, why're you standing at the door? Come on in, dear. Close the door, Rina," said Mom, upon noticing me.

I stepped into the house wondering what was going on while Rina closed the door behind me.

"What's going on here?" I asked Rina in a whisper.

"Like as if you don't know," she quipped, without bothering to keep her voice low.

"Seriously, what is going on?" I hissed to Rina in exasperation.

"Your marriage preps," said Rina, grinning heartily.

I stared at her in disbelief, before turning to face everyone else.

"Daniel, I am so disappointed in you. I thought you know you can talk to me openly. Now, I hear that you were worried I was still upset after your outburst to me that day. Daniel, you are like my son to me. I may have been upset that day, but that doesn't mean, I'll always be upset with you. I can't believe you've been avoiding me all these days, just because you were worried I was still upset with you," said Uncle Harris.

I frowned in silence. I had been avoiding him because I had been upset by his attitude that day, not because I was worried he would still be upset by my response to him the same day. Then why was he talking like this now? Who has lied to him that I was worried he would be mad at me?

"Anyway, Daniel, I just want you to know that, if there's anything you wanna tell me, you should feel free to talk it out to me. Don't just keep it to yourself, alright? If you're ready to marry Narissa now, you could've just told me in the first place. I would've been ecstatic to know it, straight from you," Uncle Harris beamed.

"Huh?" I blurted out, staring at him agape. When had I said that I was ready to marry Narissa now?

Uncle Harris smiled and glanced at Tiara, before turning to me, asking, "You must be wondering how I knew that you can't wait to marry Narissa, am I right? Thanks to Tiara; she's the one who told me how willing you are to marry Narissa, but you were worried I was still angry with you, which is why you didn't speak to me about it."

I stared at him, astounded, before glancing at Tiara, who was calmly seated on a couch in the same room. Tiara had told Uncle Harris that utter lie just to get me married to Narissa? I couldn't believe it. Just because I had told her in a fit of rage to tell my parents that I was ready to marry Narissa, she had even talked to Uncle Harris about it, just to get me married to Narissa. Thank you very much, Tiara, I am very grateful to you for what you've done! Urgh! What kind of a person was she? Didn't she have a heart or what? Urgh, I hate her....

"Thank you very much, Tiara. I have never met such a kind-hearted girl like you ever before in my life. I'm sure your parents will be very proud, having a daughter like you. Surely, if only you were my daughter, I would never be able to have a misunderstanding with anyone," said Uncle Harris, with a chuckle.

Tiara smiled a bit, but remained silent.

"Dad, are you saying that this daughter of yours is not enough?" asked Narissa, pretending to be angry.

"No, no, I mean... if I had another daughter like her," Uncle Harris tried to explain, smiling sheepishly.

"Dad, don't try to hide it. I know what you're coming to say, okay?" scowled Narissa before she burst out laughing with Rina.

"Oh wait, that reminds me," voiced Uncle Harris, before turning to Mom and Dad, asking, "Why don't Tiara and Mila stay over at our house next door for the next two weeks until Narissa's and Daniel's wedding?"

"Why, Harris?" asked Dad, puzzled.

"I was just thinking... Narissa needs to become a bit more mature and serious before her wedding, doesn't she? At first, I was thinking Isma would be able to help her about that. But even after spending all these days, hanging out with Isma, she's still so careless. So why not let Tiara stay over at our house with Narissa till the wedding?" suggested Uncle Harris.

"Oh yes, I think that might be a good idea. Tiara, is it okay with you? Staying over at Harris's place with Narissa till the wedding?" inquired Mom, turning to Tiara.

"Uh... it's okay with me, but I'm sorry, Uncle Harris, I might have to leave one of these days," said Tiara.

I frowned, but remained a silent spectator to the conversation between all of them around me.

"Why, Tiara?" asked Isma.

"The reason I came here in the first place was because Daniel assured that he would help me search for Darien. Now that we know Darien is... no more, then I guess it's time for me to go, right?" alleged Tiara.

"But do you have somewhere to go, Tiara?" queried Dad.

"Rats, I mean, my friend.... I'll go to my friend's place," stammered Tiara.

"But can't you stay just two more weeks? Until Narissa's and Daniel's wedding?" asked Uncle Harris.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Harris. I've already told Daniel to drop me and Mila at the nearest bus stop anytime when he is free," answered Tiara.

"Wait... that means, you're not gonna be here for my wedding? Come on, Tiara, won't you at least wait to see my wedding?" pouted Narissa.

"I can't see, then what's the point?" replied Tiara to Narissa.

There was a sullen silence for a moment.

"Okay... but is it urgent for you to go?" inquired Narissa.

"No, anything is fine with me. I've told Daniel to send me to the nearest bus stop when he's free. So when he tells me, I will go," explained Tiara.

"Oh... Danny, can't you let Tiara stay here till after your wedding? Please please puh-lease?" pleaded Rina.

I hesitated for a second, eyeing Tiara dubiously. Tiara remained silent and expressionless, as usual.

"Tiara, you can stay here until after my wedding, right?" I requested at last.

"It's up to you. I'll leave when you tell me to," she said.

"Since everyone here wants you to stay, you can stay until after my wedding. I'll send you to the nearest bus stop a few days after that," I offered.

Tiara remained silent.

"Make it a few weeks," chipped in Isma and Rina in unison.

"Whatever," I said. I couldn't care anymore.

The next two weeks passed by quickly while Tiara and Mila had been staying with Narissa and Uncle Harris in their house next door. I kept meeting them as preparations for my wedding were carried out in full swing.

Each time I met Narissa during those two weeks, I noticed a beautiful change in her. She was obviously not that childish anymore. She smiled shyly whenever I glanced at her, and there were many more changes I could not decipher. I couldn't believe it at first but I guess that is a change marriage does to even the most childish girl, who never seemed to be ready for marriage before. Before I knew it, the two weeks had passed and I was married to Narissa Eliza.

To be continued...