Dream: Valentine's Day

This is an alternate universe chapter that does not follow the original plot.

-+-

The late winter was nothing you didn't expect. Every year you got snow near Valentine's Day and it became an annual event for you. Well, it only started happening when Jeff came into your life, sweeping you off your feet in a big bundle of love.

Anyways, it was the afternoon when you decided to check out of work. Your boss was thankful for all the hard work you put in over the weekend, so she granted you permission to spend most of the day with your loved one rather than passing out chocolate to others. The bakery you worked at was known to sell high-quality candy during February and March and even decorated its interior according to the season. But that's all because of you! A couple years prior, when you applied for the job, you presented new ideas for how to attract customers and such. Your coworkers always marveled at your talent!

You waved goodbye to your friend (and common customer), Jane, and wished her a happy Valentine's Day. She was the closest to you out of all your acquaintances, so you put a chocolate on your tab and told her to pick out whatever she liked. Your boss loved how friendly and charming you were, so she pulled you into the back and showed you her latest creation. She was known to invent crazy combinations of sweets, ranging from caramel-covered mints to fudge-filled pineapples, so you braced yourself for what was to come.

Surprisingly, she held out a box of chocolates and instructed you to give them to the person you care for the most. Replying with a smile, you thanked her and rushed out of the shop.

You were supposed to meet Jeff at the house around dinner time, but you wanted to set up something special. You figured you had just enough time to buy a card from the store and visit your doctor who requested you stop by for a moment. Apparently, something important had shown up in your last test results. Nervous as ever, you decided that it would be best to go there first and get it over with.

The clinic was completely empty, except for an old man sitting peacefully in a chair with a soft, warm, smile on his face. He wore a tan jacket with embroidered buttons along the middle and seam, and a grayish hat was placed upon the top of his few strands of hair. Overall, he looked very welcoming without a single trace loneliness behind his colorless eyes.

He couldn't help but notice the outline of the heart in your take-out bag, and remarked, "I bet those are for your love, ay?"

You glanced at the plastic. "Oh, these? Yes, they are!"

The man's cheeks rose and he soon replied, "I won't bore you with the story of how I used to do that for my wife, but I hope you have a Valentine's Day just as wonderful."

"Thank you!"

The blonde nurse called your name with an exuberant expression and led you into the back. Dr. Smiley was sitting behind his desk, glancing at a computer screen. When he noticed your presence, the man quickly stood up and ruffled through a plastic bag.

"Is everything okay? I didn't get some crazy disease, right?" you asked.

"Of course not," Smiley sighed. "It's actually good news."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he said. "You're fully clear. It's out of your system."

That was amazing! Just what you wanted to hear on such a special day! Two years ago, you had found out that there were traces of poison in your liver. Luckily, it wasn't enough to kill you, but there was the possibility of it spreading to your brain. That would have caused problems.

"That's... awesome! I don't even know what to say!" you exclaimed.

"Enjoy yourself tonight," the doctor said with a sincere smile. "Oh, and for the occasion, I got you these..."