Memory 18: Calamitous (Day 562)

In order to keep safe the various feelings stuck within my gut, I walk into the busted, infested building without stealth. I turn the corner down a mysterious hallway and allow fate to guide me on my path. I have absolutely no idea where anyone or anything is in this place, but something's calling me in this direction.

I have to hurry before it's too late.

My brother is in this jacked up storehouse, and now that I know he's alive it's my duty to make up for all that I've done. I have to save him if I want anything good to happen to me in the future.

I wish I could close my eyes in one world and open them to another. Of anyone, I thought I wouldn't be in so much denial. But it seems like you really don't know what will happen until it does, just like how I didn't anticipate him even being alive. I'm a terrible person. Thinking that he was dead, I sinned so many times. And now that he's alive, I can't do anything but save him in order to make up for it.

It's too damn ironic. Killing people because you think someone you loved was dead, and then finding out that they were never dead in the first place.

The echoing sound of metal makes its way towards me, and I follow the sound as if I've known it for years. It's a beautiful sound, reminding me of home. It brings my memories back to a place I can barely remember. I can recall a house on a hill beneath electricity lines, the buzzing from the towers, and the sun overcoming the clouds. Everything was peaceful.

Well, memories are never as they once were.

Can you remember how this story ends?

I glance around the room to my right and realize that a window is open in the corner. I know it seems like a trap, but what other choice do I have? This is the window to a better future- the window to a life I was supposed to live. Sacrifices have to be made to grant such a holy screw up like me forgiveness for a mistake. Someone won't be alive by the end of today, but as long as the wrongs are made right, who could care? I'm ready for this new life to begin.

And it does. The moment that I jump from the window.

I didn't anticipate the fall as greatly as I should have. Three stories is a fatal distance. And my foot is now completely intoxicated and unable to move, unable to fight for what's right.

"Oh, good. You fell just like we wanted you to."

Looking up, my eyes in their staggering vision first see the monochrome clown and black-teared boy standing in the middle of a courtyard surrounded on each side by the building I ran through. Granted, the courtyard hasn't been kept up in years, so the ground is a hard mass of sand and dirt and not a single form of green exists to contrast it.

"Give me back my brother," I groggily state, holding onto my broken foot for dear life.

The next image my eyes make out is a figure. It sits in the dirt picking the last bits of grass from the earth and throwing them to the ground beside it. The earth doesn't cry, and it doesn't weep. The one doing that is me.

"Liu."

Any lack of emotions that anyone thought I had completely leaves me. I feel an obsession to redeem myself grow within my heart, and it's strange to me that after all this time of letting myself be apathetic, I can so easily reverse myself back to a sane status. And this feeling, it makes me stand up on both feet, ignore the pain now soaring through my veins, and travel as fast as I can towards the one human being that can save me from becoming the monster that has infiltrated my brain.