Second Chapter of the Past

I hate how I can't see him. We were basically the same person, hanging out all the time and stuff. And now we're forced apart because of some stupid bullies that attacked us. Sure, I feel bad for my brother, but it's a lot harder on me than it is on him. I've never felt this type of distance before and I absolutely can't stand it. I don't blame him, though. Neither of us wanted this.

I remember the time we moved here on that Sunday. We left everything we knew behind. The yellow line on the highway flew past us in a blur in a night lit on fire. We thought we felt free being able to leave sorrows in the past, but we weren't free in any sense, the guilt residing in our bones. We were running away from our own shadows, and it wasn't the correct way to obtain freedom. We should have gotten off sooner. We should have stayed. I should have yelled at my family to turn back and stop chasing tragedy.

We knew the tragedy was coming.

We spent a week repenting for sins, unloading the weight of mankind's flaws into different chambers speaking to us souls with dark intentions and manipulative minds. I'm sure a few of us acquired wretched demons intending to follow us for all of eternity. The house was made of death and the essence of those demons, and we sought it brilliantly. The market ranged from heaven to hell, and the sense of despair and nervousness I felt upon reaching our destination was so uncanny that I couldn't bear to step through the gate without grasping my hands together and holding them back.

But my brother placed his hand on my shoulder and ushered me along, proving that it's not impossible to live alongside enemies of nature and tame them. I never thought that believing in faith would bring about such a demise, but now I believe that all it did was push me further into my falsehood of a deity and make the revelation all the more deceitful.

I don't believe the tragedy is over yet. I believe that betrayal lurks in the darkness easily, calling for rain and storms of blood and deprivation.

Don't believe me when I say I was always calling out your name, because I am not a saint following orders from my morals. No! In all this time my brother has been away, I've simply replaced him with a soul I am forbidden from seeing. I fell in love with it, for Christ's sake, and now I feel like I sabotaged every sense of a connection between myself and my family. I have heart problems, you know; it's in my genes. But I don't think I'll ever die from something as stupid as that. I want to die at the hands of a true devil, not one trying to silently slay an innocent. I want something sinister to hold me in its arms as it sucks the life from me, literally anguished by its actions. I'll go down fighting for existence, trying to do good for some mortal.

If I can't help anybody by dying, I'll help myself to the treat of feeling lonely in the afterlife. I'll be one of those souls with lingering desires and goals that anchor me into the dirt until I can solemnly fulfill them.

If only I knew why he chose to save me. That decision to take blame for the situation has separated us both, but it saved me from what I didn't want... I didn't want him to have to suffer knowing I wasn't in the right place. We really do look out for each other, and that's why I take pride in him being my sibling.

I truly do hope things never change for us.

-+-

YOU CHOOSE THE ENDING:

So this is the first time you, the reader, gets to decide what happens next in the story. Your decision will not only affect the next chapter, but it will change the outcome of the entire story. Choose wisely:

Sleep paralysis or hallucinations?