Memory 9: Divulgence (Day 126)

You know, I always hated May. It's not spring but it's not summer either. And I don't care what the calendars say about the seasons. May isn't any of them. It doesn't fit a stereotype. I don't understand it, so it frustrates me.

Anyways, it wasn't that hard to convince her to trust me again. But the way I did it was abhorrent; I won't be explaining it any time soon. She was just a wanderer in the dark and lonely woods, and I was a predator pretending to keep watch. I knew every face that entered those woods and I couldn't let such a scared one reveal that mine wasn't half of who I was. The other watchmen would surely take it the wrong way. They would think that the mask I wore was the way I wanted to be, when the person behind the mask was the one who needed to jump into reality. I needed something to pull me back. Back to the better person I could be. I'm not psychopathic; I'm misunderstood.

I'm on my way to see the doctor right now. He gave me the venue of his new house about a month ago and it's located strangely close to the cliff where I met her. He also wants to give me a "check-up". What a load of bull. I'm fine.

As I enter the woods, it seems like everything stops moving. The animals sit and stare at me with bloodshot eyes. Even the carnivores lift their snouts from the carcasses of their meals and shoot me a glance with glowing green orbs for eyes. The stream in the corner of the land ceases to flow as my steps carry me deeper into the vast nooks and crannies of trees and gaping holes left beneath a groundhog's burrow. Yet somehow, I take in a great sigh and continue to walk straight towards the solitude slaughterhouse. As soon as I reach the wooden door of his wooden cabin, I'll be welcomed into his facade of a home.

But as I pass the nest of baby birds laying on the ground of the forest, I lower my eyelids and continue, forgetting I ever saw the helpless creatures.

There's plenty more of them in this world.

The stones lining the gravel path leading to the doctor's house are clean-cut and polished. The patio is squeaky and wobbly, but the rest of the house looks in-tact. Luckily.

I raise my hand to knock and I'm quickly beckoned inside.

"Took you a long time," Smiley says as he yanks the door shut behind me.

"I was enjoying my walk through the woods," I reply sarcastically.

"I bet," he grunts.

I walk through the hallway and peer into a room filled with a bunch of clothes. They're all folded neatly on shelves and stacked on the dresser. It makes me wonder.

"Hey, where'd you get all these?" I ask blatantly. "And do you wear all of them?"

Dr. Devin shuffles to catch up to me and mutters, "Patients that didn't make it. And are you trying to mock me?"

He then slides down the hall and opens the door to the basement, jogging down the steps. He called me saying he had news and information about important stuff. Whether or not he could have said it over the phone isn't known by me, and I don't care either way. I know the location of his house now. If I ever need anything, I know where to go. I just hope he doesn't kick me out for traveling to a room that's off-limits for anyone except him. But I follow out of curiosity anyways, not really knowing if I'm supposed to go down there.

Curiosity didn't kill the cat.

The stairs lead to a giant metal room with different hallways branching from two of the walls. Smiley stomps through the one closest to me and sighs as he turns back and waits for me to reach the end. And before I can spit out a single word, he points to a hospital-like bed and pulls a tray towards it.