Lucy-Chapter 2

After everyone had there picture taken, we started English. As we waited for the teacher, everyone was turned to their friends talking. I however, was day dreaming about flying far, far away to a secret place. I thought of mermaids that would live in the river, pixies that would treat everyone as if they were their own, and finally a Captain of a ship, hook and all. "Good morining class, I hope you're all having a good day." The teacher says. Startled, I wake up back into reality. I didn't even see her walk in. "Hey Lucy, what do you have here?" the teacher asks. "She's talking about my eye already. Great." I think miserably. As she walks over, I notice that she's not looking at me, but at my desk. As I look down, my eyes focus on the most disturbing drawing I've ever seen. "How did that get here, I don't remember drawing before class." The teacher studies it as she picks it up. I look at it again, just to see pictures of souless mermaids and a dead pirate, hook ripped out of its arm, cutting his own chest. "These seem like the creatures I day dreamed before the teacher came," I ponder. The teacher seems very disturbed while she tells us to unpack our supplies and open our notebooks. Then she folds the drawing and whispers in my ear, "Please see me after class."

                  At 12:45, when English ends, I wait by the teachers desk while the rest of the class is racing to lunch. As the voices of the students fade, the sound of footsteps toward the door raise. Then, the teacher and principal walk in. Immediately, they stop infront of me and ask, "Where did you get the idea to draw this?". She points to the pixie. The principal has a clipboard. I lie and say, "a cartoon." "And this?" She says as she points to the mermaid. Again I lie and say, "I read about it in a book". The principal writes something down. "And what about this?" She asks. She's pointing at the pirate with the hook in his chest. "My brother dressed up as a pirate once. As he was walking towards a house, he tripped on a tree root and his hook fell on his chest." Each lie comes out flawless, as if it were true. Honestly I don't know where the ideas, or even the drawing, came from. "It's like magic..." As the principal writes a final few scribbles, the teacher eyes me like she knows I'm lying...but for some reason I know this is a test to see If I break. "Ok...I think that about wraps it up, you may go home now. At that moment I'm reminded of the hell hole home is. Reluctantly, I leave the room and head to the busses. I get on one just as the doors are closing. "Hey, you, over there. I look over to see a kid. He has black hair and green eyes. He's a little on the tall side. "What'd you do, anger your drunk daddy? Or upset your high mommy?" He jokes. Around him, his group erupts in laughter. No idea of what to say next, I curl up in a ball on the seat, and endure the insults and dirty words that come.