Lucy-Chapter 5

As I waited for the sitter, I began to think of a strategy. "The first one to come home would be mom, and she will be back at around 7:30. It's 4:00 right now so that'll give me about 3 hours. That's more than a few hours to run away. If I can find a place to hide what would I do next? I would need food and water, so I'll bring that and maybe some money and books." As I was thinking, I didn't even notice the door opening as the sitter came in. "Hi, my name is Cristina." She said. Startled, I looked her over. She wasn't that bad looking. She had blonde hair with ocean blue eyes, she was a little on the skinny side as well. She looked like a stereotypical cheerleader. After staring awkwardly at me for a few seconds, she immediately went to watch television. "Just stay out of trouble." She said as I went to my room. I grabbed my wallet and a few twenties from my dad's drawer. My parents always leave money in their drawer under their socks. I only know about it because my dad let it slip when he had too much beer one night. Satisfied with what I took, I went to the kitchen to gather food in case I got hungry. After debating what to take, I decided to pack five water bottles, a handfull of granola bars, two sandwiches, and three juice boxes. I tried not to take too much so they wouldn't notice. After all that was packed in a backpack I found in my room, I informed the sitter I was going outside. For a second she didn't respond, I was about to repeat myself when she said, "Sorry, your parents said that you're not allowed, if you get a game set up, we can play that." Even if I wanted to play a game, her tone implied that she was lying "Duh! How could I be so dumb as to think that they wouldn't take precautions?" Angered at my stupidity, I go off to think of a better plan. As I walk away, I see the back door cracked open a little bit. That's right, it can't close completely. Mom is always asking dad to fix it, but of course he's too lazy. Once he sits down, he only ever gets up to get a cold one. Silently, I creep over to the door and turn the handle. I flinch when it makes a small creaking noise. After I make sure the sitter didn't hear it, I open it a little bit more than it was before. No sound. I open it more, still no sound. Trusting that the door is safe to use, I open it to where I can fit through, and then I run deep into the forest, finally free.

As I entered the forest, I made sure to keep the fence line of the other houses within sight. I didn't know where I was going to find shelter, but if I figured it out, I didn't want to be lost. As I walked for a little longer, I heard sirens. "They must've realized I ran." I thought. And as I thought, I didn't see the same dark figure that was at my school. Smiling.