seven | burn it

"then it hit me, you're relocating and i need you by my side"

- sam smith, "omen"

-

Wren Summers woke up to hearing a scratching sound. Her heart was pounding with a feeling that can only be described as petrifying fear. There was an unsettling pit in her stomach and Wren held her breath as she slowly moved herself into a sitting position in the Ravenclaw dormitories that she only shared with Henley and Rebecca Lovestring. Rebecca was staying with her boyfriend in another dormitory, Wren was sure of that.

Turning her head to the other side of the room, Wren's heart hammered in her chest. With her eyes swimming with a pool of tears, Wren watched her best friend. The feeling only continued to grow as she saw Henley with a bewitched quill that was designed to stay sharp. She, too, was sitting up in bed with a dazed expression. The quill was in her hands with a grip so tight that it made Henley's fingers white. She was digging the quill into the bed, the blankets like a moat around the bedposts.

"Henley?"

Holding her breath, Wren knew that her hands were shaking. Slowly, but rather quickly, Wren got up from the bed and dashed to find a notepad. Noticing the small bit of blood on Henley's cheeks, Wren felt her eyes let tears slip. Letting out a few sound, Wren exchanged the quill with a notepad. Not faltering, Henley continued to make the motions of the drawing on the bed, even without the quill. A sob escaped Wren and she shakily grabbed the box of pastels on Henley's nightstand.

Henley grabbed onto the items like she were a child and they were her special blanket. Backing away form the bed as Henley started drawing and wiping at her face, causing colors to fall all over her body, Wren rushed out of the room to find Connor and Chase. They were asleep in their room, one they had to themselves. Wren shook them awake as quietly as she could as she was sobbing, "Wake up. Connor, you have to wake up. Chase, come on!"

"Wren?" Chase asked groggily as he turned on the lamp beside his bed. He saw her broken form and immediately got out of bed. Connor did the same, taking hold of Wren and pulling her close to him. Chase was in a light, white t-shirt and boxers, along with Connor. Wren was wearing a simple nightgown, but was regretting it because she was freezing. Placing a hand on her other shoulder, the Asian boy continued. "Wren, what's the matter?"

"Where's Henley?" Connor's frantic voice was lowered all of a sudden. The realization hit him like a truck and Wren just let out a few babbling sounds before pointing to the girls' dormitories. The same thought came to Chase and they felt their hearts sink. The raven haired boy took charge, his hold on Wren tightening, "Chase, you go find anyone you can. But don't make a sound, tell everyone to be quite. If you run into a prefect, tell them you need a professor immediately. Wren, honey, you're coming with me to watch Henley."

They split up in a silent flurry of destruction. Chase didn't make a noise as he raced down the steps of the Ravenclaw tower and he didn't yell as he ran down the empty corridors. He knew exactly where McGonagall's room was, and he went there because it was the closest.