fourteen | valuable time

"i find your lips in the street lights"

- carly rae jepsen, "run away with me"

-

The ceiling was newly painted white. It still held the wet paint smell that became accustomed to Henley's nose. It was late at night, not that she knew any different. Henley didn't sleep much anymore. The dreams of her mother and Cedric's death haunted her. 

It had only been about two weeks since the death of her mother. Making it five weeks since Cedric's death. Both left Henley Paxton shattered. She was a walking corpse. She was empty.

With a groan, Henley rolled out of her bed and grabbed a paintbrush. All of her walls were white as well and Henley decided to spice up the room. Her fingers were numb as she dipped the bristles in the blood red coloring. 

Soon enough, Henley's wall was no longer white. Instead, a red rose covered the majority of the wall. The detail of the petals of the rose were almost unreal. Two of the petals were at the base of the wall, already fallen off. The green stem had a variety of thorns coming out of the sides, waiting to be pricked. 

Henley incorporated a drop of blood on one of the thorns, recognizing their danger. 

The beautiful rose was deadly, hiding behind its beauty and serenity. Within the gorgeousness of the red and the smoothness of the petals was a thorn waiting to be pricked. Henley was like a rose. Her beauty hid her secret within. She was a serpent hiding within a rose garden. 

Dropping the brush on the floor, Henley ignored the paint that splattered over her legs and the hardwood floor. It was late morning and she could hear her father and brother moving around the house. 

Dumbledore's bright idea was that the Paxton family was to be moved around every two weeks to a new location. A Fidelius Charm proved to be unsuccessful at the Paxton's old house, so this is the best they had. Once a proper headquarters was formed, the Paxton's would be moved there. 

In the meantime, the Paxtons were stationed in Little Whinging. They had four more days before they were able to leave the godforsaken town. 

Walking down the steps, Henley entered the kitchen fairly quickly. Baxter was trying to figure out how to work the coffee pot as he cooked breakfast. Henley moved him out of the way silently and fixed it in a matter of seconds. 

"Thank you, darling," Baxter sighed as he watched her get out the orange juice and take the seat next to Berkley at the table. Flipping a pancake, he started at his kids. "What are you two doing today?" 

"Watching TV," Berkley supplied as he accepted his second plate and doused it with syrup. He didn't say anything about how he preferred his mother's food because he knew it would bring the mood down. 

Henley licked her lip before leaning on the table. Sensing her father's glance, Henley cleared her throat. "I may go for a walk. I saw a playground a block or two over that I might check out."