eight | skinny dipping

"and damn it i need you"

- kehlani, "the letter"

-

A month and a half passed since the revelation of how deep Henley's powers could go. It was terrifying for the small, tight-nit friend group and Berkley. Since the incident, Henley barely wanted to be alone. She believed it was a greater power telling her that she needed to be more aware of her powers so she could draw things before they happened and prevent the tragedy.

"Are you hungry?" Berkley asked his sister as the two walked to the Great Hall for dinner. He was on "Henley-Watch" for the moment and he didn't mind at all. Ditching his friends wasn't a hard decision to make when it came to his sister's health. Plus, Claire and Baxter Paxton had informed their son that he needed to watch out for his big sister. Henley's mental stability was deteriorating rapidly and it wouldn't be hard to envision her in Saint Mungos.

Keeping in step with her brother, Henley ran her tongue over her white teeth. She had felt numb since the night of the Yule Ball. She was in autopilot, not able to break out of it. Her friends and Berkley discussed her instability on multiple occasions, all of them thinking she needed to be dunked in cold water for a while until she was ready to be herself again.

Being unusually quiet, Henley gave a hum for an answer. She was indifferent about most things, nothing bothering her and nothing really exciting her. Cedric had a way to bring forth the old Henley and everyone was grateful for the bright Hufflepuff. The amount of time the two spent together was amazing, and although the Ravenclaws didn't like hanging out with their friend less, seeing her happy made up for it.

Berkley shrugged but continued to direct his sister to the table. They sat next to each other, Henley placing meager amounts of food on her plate and eating it slowly. Her younger brother pretended it didn't bother him; even though they both knew it did. Henley wasn't trying to harm herself, she just hadn't felt anything for a while.

The conversation between Harry after their hug was next to none. Henley was stuck to the hip with her friends, her brother, or Cedric - who still hadn't asked her to be his girlfriend yet. Henley found herself falling in love with the boy, but she wouldn't admit it. She wouldn't mind being in love with Cedric, she just didn't know if he felt the same and she was too scared to say anything.

"How was class?" Chase asked as he took the other side of Henley. He was asking the group, but it was obvious that it was intended to prod Henley and her numb state. Connor paused his chewing and his eyes darted from the dark colored siblings and the Asian boy next to them.

"Fine," Henley sighed in an attempt to please her friends. They loved her for trying, but they wished she would find herself again. It wasn't that Henley wasn't happy, because she was. She still laughed with her friends and her brother, but she didn't have the usual spark in her eyes. "Draco Malfoy was being a git, Wren flirted her way in potions so we wouldn't have to do any work, and Connor ate a weird leaf in herbology."