thirteen | cloaked man

"most nights i pray for you to come home"

-joel adams, "please don't go"

-

"Dad, we're out of milk," Henley shouted from the kitchen as she was bustling around trying to make breakfast. Berkley was sitting at the table playing a game and watching his family move around at fast pace. 

School had been out for two weeks, now. Cedric hadn't been in Henley's life for three weeks and she was taking it day by day. Her hair was up in a braid today and her makeup was done and she was hoping to go shopping today.

Baxter walked into the kitchen trying to tie his tie and he stared at his daughter. "Okay, let me pull some out of my ass, Hen. I'll get some from the restaurant tonight, okay?" 

"No one needs sass this early in the morning, dad," Henley looked at her father before taking the toast out of the toaster and shoving a piece in Baxter's mouth as he opened it to speak. 

The doorbell rang and the three in the kitchen furrowed their eyebrows. No one was expecting anyone to come, especially at seven in the morning. Claire shouted as she walked down the stairs, "I got it!" 

"I like your braid, Hen," Baxter commented on his daughter's hair as he pressed a kiss to her temple. He turned her and lifted his neck as Henley rolled her eyes and started to tie his tie. 

"Thanks, dad," she chuckled after sharing a look with Berkley. The Paxton family knew the fate of Henley's boyfriend, but they decided that they, too, would take it by day. If it was a bad day then Berkley and his sister would stay home and watch movies with ice-cream. If it was a good day then Henley went for a walk or helped out at the restaurant. 

Grabbing his cup of coffee, Baxter frowned and backed up to the doorway of the kitchen. "Honey, everything all right?" 

"Get the kids, Baxter," Claire advised with a hard voice. Her wand was held tightly in her hand as a man in a cloak held his own wand to her throat. 

Baxter, who was a six foot tall man and had the biggest muscles most people had seen, grabbed his daughter by the waist and hoisted her up and snatched Berkley's collar. The two were forced into the living room where Baxter pushed them behind him. "Hold onto to each other." 

Fear was building up in the silent house. The kids were pressed against each other on the wall. Henley felt like she was four again and was scared of a monster in her closet. Never had she once been afraid of her own house, but in that moment she wished she were anywhere else.

Henley made sure Berkley was behind her slightly as they were pressed to the wall. Berkley held onto his sister tightly, unable to let her go as he was terrified. Baxter told his kids to stay where they were as he started walking towards the front door. "Honey?" 

"Stay with the kids, Baxter," Claire pushed as she and the cloaked man were staring at each other. She was the only one who saw under the cloak. The Paxton woman was not scared of this man. She was scared of what this man would do to her daughter. And Claire Paxton was not about to let anything happen to her daughter.