Chapter Seven.

"Sailing into fire nation waters." Iroh scolded, folding his arms across his chest at Zuko's brash actions. Kumo looked up from patting Kaze, tension hung in the air like a crushing boulder on her shoulders. She felt uncomfortable. "Out of all the things you've done in your sixteen years, this is the most foolish."

Kumo frowned. She didn't know what really happened in the Fire Lord Ozai's family but she assumed it was 'kill or be killed'. She knew the Prince was banished but that was it. Oh, and she'd heard of the Prince's sister, she was said to be evil.

"I have no choice, Uncle." Zuko snapped, looking through the telescope. Kumo sighed, she didn't understand him. If she was him, she would've given up on her family and found a new one. But she'd never really had a family...

"Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you?" Iroh snapped, he was losing his temper. Kumo tensed, feeling incredibly anxious. "What if you're caught?"

"I'm chasing the avatar, my father will understand why I'm coming home." Zuko insisted, turning to face his Uncle. Kaze whined.

"You give him too much credit, he's not the understanding type." Iroh sighed, his patience returned slightly. "But even if he does, what of Kumo? Will you just hand her over?"

Kumo stared at the ground sadly, Kaze, sensing her despair, rubbed his large head against her stomach. It went silent for  a moment. No one said anything, not even Zuko, who went back to looking through his telescope. 

Iroh had grown exceedingly fond of the calm, good-natured girl. He felt as if she was one of his own, and he didn't like the idea of readily giving her up to his brother, who would surely kill her or worse, keep her in prisons and torture her.

"There they are! Helmsman, straight ahead!" Zuko ordered, glancing over his shoulder at the crew. Kumo looked up, spotting the flying bison in the sky. She frowned, feelings of guilt waved over her.

They made their way down to the deck, where a canon of some sorts was raised onto deck. Iroh stood fanning himself, Kumo stood next to him, her frustration seeped of her, even Zuko could feel it. She was angry at him. Kaze lay inside, having a nap.

The stench of the machine was horrendous and she couldn't help wonder what the burning fireball was made of. 

"Oh really, Prince Zuko, couldn't you shoot them down with something more fragrant?" Iroh muttered, fanning the foul stench away. Zuko turned to Kumo.

"Girl, help the aim and speed with your air bending." Zuko demanded. Kumo gave him a blank stare and she looked away, turning up her nose. Zuko stood in shocked silence for a bit before asking the men to fire.

The fireball flew towards the bison at amazing speeds, but the bison dodged swiftly. Kumo looked forward, eyeing the fire nation ships with anger.

"A blockade." Zuko muttered. Kumo frowned.

"Techincally, we're still in earth kingdom waters, we can still turn back." Iroh suggested, Kumo rolled her eyes as Zuko kept going.

"They're not turning around." Zuko growled.

"Please, Prince Zuko, if you get captured then theres nothing I can do." Iroh begged, shooting Kumo a concerned glance. He could feel her anger now, radiating of her skin like fire.

"I'm sorry, Uncle!" Zuko muttered, before turning to order his crew. "Run the blockade."

"Selfish brat." Kumo hissed, Zuko and Iroh turned to her in shock. Her docile eyes were now swirling with a furious storm, the wind swirled around her feet. "You're willing to risk your crew's life, your uncle's life, all for the approval of your father?"

"I-"

"The father who banished you, who humiliated you, who probably doesn't care whether your dead or alive!" She snarled, her hands tightening into fists. "You're willing to risk the life of people just for that?"

"Do not speak of my father as if you know him." Zuko snarled, stepping towards Kumo, who held her ground. "You don't have a father, you could never understand."

Iron's eyes widened and he was about to scold Zuko.

"You're right, I don't have any family and I never will understand, but your crew does, so does Iroh." She hissed, folding her arms across her chest. "And let me tell you this, I would never ever sacrifice the lives of people for my own selfish goals because I am not a heartless monster."

Kumo turned and stormed off, cursing him to the spirits. But her fury didn't last long, as a giant fireball smashed into the engines, she let out a yell, Kaze bounded towards her, protecting his master. The engines were on fire. But Zuko, still would not stop.

She darted forward to Iroh with panicked eyes, he remained calm, placing a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder.

"I can't swim..." She muttered, staring at him with distressed eyes. "I can't... I hate... I'm scared of water."

Iroh watched sadly as the girl admitted her fears, wondering what damage her pride had sustained but comforted her none the less.

"It'll be fine, Kumo." He reassured, glancing down to Kaze, who whined. "You have Kaze to aid you if anything should happen."

Kumo looked up, they were on a collision course with fire nation ships. She stared wide eyed as Zuko yelled that they'd make it. But suddenly, the fire nation ships stopped, letting them pass. She frowned, they did it purposely.

-

(Picture of Kaze. A/N: Kaze's head goes up to Kumo's shoulder.)

Kumo sat on the deck in silence, Kaze's head rested lazily on her lap

Kumo sat on the deck in silence, Kaze's head rested lazily on her lap. She closed her eyes, enjoying the cool ocean breeze and sea salt smell. It was relaxing, tea would've made it better but Iroh was talking to Zuko about Commander Zhao, she'd finally cared to learn his name.

She had to give him credit for being determined, but she supposed capturing the avatar, the banished prince and a rogue air bender would make him legendary. Her mind drifted to the avatar, she wondered if he thought she was a traitor.

She heard Iroh and Zuko talking, but ignored their conversation. Until, Iroh placed a hand on her shoulder. She glanced up at him, before getting up from her comfortable place on the floor.

"You should go with Zuko, it is safer." He explained, giving her a soft smile. She tilted her head in confusion, he chuckled. "Commander Zhao is following our ship by the smoke, you could be caught if he catches up, go with Zuko."

"Okay," She muttered, drearily walking over to Zuko, Kaze padded behind her, growling at Zuko. She hopped onto the ship and waited for Zuko to say his goodbye to Iroh, before he followed her onto the ship. "Bye, Iroh."

She slumped down on the deck of the ship, resting her head on Kaze's warm,fluffy side as he lay down behind her. She sighed, drifting off into a peaceful slumber.