Chapter Nineteen.

My attention was brought away from the wolf as a cracking sound, invading my ears. I looked over to Zuko, the ice beneath him splintered and cracks began to form, snaking their way through the ice. My heart dropped. 

He began to run, the avatar on his back, Kaze followed his lead, bounding after him as the ice crumbled away behind him. I shrieked, grasping onto Kaze's fur tightly. And with one leap, he leapt to safety, rolling in the snow, throughing my spirit form into the ice.

I winced as the cold, compacted snow smashed into my face, the freezing substance stung my face and no doubt, would later cause it to bruise. I got up shakily, my knees threatened to buckled underneath me. Zuko had managed to jump just in time and he lay twitching on the ground, the avatar not too far away.

Kaze recovered quickest, rolling onto his feet and shaking the snow out his fur, he padded over to Zuko cautiously, rubbing his nose against his hooded head. Zuko groaned, lifting his face up from the snow before getting up, using Kaze as a support. He grabbed the avatar, flinging him onto Kaze's back before they trudged slowly on to shelter.

-

The was small, but big enough for all of them. Zuko got a fire started before tying Aang up. Kaze curled into a ball in the corner, deeply missing his master. Kumo sat in spirit form by the fire, watching the embers burn and crackle.

How she longed to be able to put her arms around Zuko...

"I finally have you, but I can't take you home, because of this blizzard, theres always something." She heard Zuko mumble, her head snapped up but her mood dampened even more as she saw Zuko's depressed expression. He got up, padding over to the edge of the cave. "Not that you would understand, you're like my sister."

Kumo wandered over to Zuko, sighing quietly even though she knew he could not see her.

"Everything always came easy to her, she's a fire bending prodigy and everyone adores her." He spat, his fists clenched. He wished Kumo was there. "My father says she was born lucky, he says I was lucky to be born! I don't need luck though, I don't want it..."

Kumo's heart bled for Zuko as he poured his heart out. She chewed her lip, looking down at the snow.

"I've always had to fight and struggle, thats made me strong, it's made me who I am." Zuko muttered, his voice slight hoarse. He wandered back over to the fire, slouching down next to it, wishing for Kumo to return.

-

Kumo narrowed her eyes at the growing figure in the distance, it was Lang Yao, once again. She walked out into the blizzard, not caring if the cold stung her cheeks and threatened to destroy her hands. She walked far until she finally came face to face with the wolf.

He stared down at her with warm eyes, they were golden, flecked with amber. His warm breath swirled around her and the blizzard seemed to dissipate. Kumo frowned, glancing around. Air seemed to form a  ball, protecting the two.

"Lang Yao, why do I keep going into the spirit world?" She asked coldly, not in the best of moods. The great wolf spirit lowered his head. "Is it because the Avatar?"

"Yes, my child," He confirmed huskily, "but the avatar only draws out your abilities."

"My abilities?" She muttered, her confidence grew and she stepped forward, a blizzard swirled in her eyes, mimicking the weather. "What abilities?"

"Just like your mother," he chuckled, a wolfish grin formed on his face, revealing a row of razor sharp teeth. "Have patience, my child, and I shall explain."

Kumo sighed in frustration before urging the giant spirit to continue.

"You are not an air bender." He explained, Kumo's eyes widened in slight shock, then what was she? "You, my child, are..."

-

The blizzard continued to whirl, deafening the ears of any who dared to approach it.

Kumo trudged through the blizzard, retracing her steps. She shivered like a leaf, but her arms hung limply by her sides, her eyes were empty and dull. What Lang Yao said replayed in her head like a broken record.

A light glowed in the distance, she could only guess it was the fire Zuko had made. The idea of warmth pushed her forward a bit quicker, as she forced herself to walk through the snow. The snow was thick and crisp, going up to her knees and soaking her boots.

(I made some change's to Kumo's outfit, in the previous chapters she wears her usual clothes. In these last chapters, I made some changes as she was in a cold place. Again, her hair is meant to be white but  wattled messed with the colours a bit.)

She stumbled forward, coming to the mouth of the cave

She stumbled forward, coming to the mouth of the cave. Zuko shot up, staring wide eyed at the girl. Kumo tumbled onto her knees, her body wasn't willing to go further. Zuko ran to her before swooping her up and placing her by the fire gently.

He stared at her eyes, they were dull and empty, her skin was sickly pale and her lips were fading from the red colour they should have been. He let out a breath of confusion, it was like she was looking at him but seeing right through. 

Zuko looked down at the ground, not able to look at the seemingly lifeless girl any longer, it hurt too much to see her like that. He pulled her up gently and wrapped his arms around her, resting his chin on her shoulder.

"I broke my promise, I couldn't protect you." Zuko cried, burying his head further. The cold, the pain, the fighting, it'd been too much for the prince. Kaze whined from his corner of the cave, but didn't go over, he couldn't tell if that was his master. "I'm sorry..."

"Zuko..." She stammered, lifting a shaky hand to embrace him back. Zuko pull back to look at her face, a hint of a smile pulled at her lips but her eyes were still so dull. He sighed, resting his chin on her shoulder again. 

"Don't say anything, just rest."