Chapter Twelve.

Kumo watched sadly as grey clouds rolled in from the north. She couldn't get a moments peace could she?

"Looks like your uncle and Kumo were right about the storm after all." Lieutenant snapped, Kumo shot him a small smile, keeping Kaze close by her incase anything were to happen. Zuko cursed under his breath before storming over to the lieutenant.

"Lieutenant! You better learn some respect or I'll teach it to you." Zuko snarled, pointing a finger in the lieutenant's chest. Sometimes Kumo forgot he was only a year older.

"What do you know about respect?" The lieutenant countered. Kumo eyed the water as it became more aggressive. " The way you talk to everyone around here, from your hardworking crew to the girl whose saved your life to your esteemed uncle shows you know nothing about respect. You don't care about anyone but yourself, but I guess thats what to expect from a spoiled prince."

Kumo sighed, before darting towards the now fighting males and smacking their hands away from each other. She gave the lieutenant a soft glare but turned to give Zuko a scolding look, he looked down at the floor.

"Enough, we are all tired from being at sea so long." Iroh sighed. "I'm pretty sure after a bowl of noodles, we'll all feel much better."

The lieutenant went back inside the cabin but Zuko stayed looking out at the storm. Iroh placed a hand on his shoulder but Zuko shrugged it off. 

"I don't need your help keeping order on my ship." Iroh turned and went inside, a sad look on his face. Kumo sighed, walking up behind Zuko.

"He cares, you know?" She sighed, looking up at the looming black clouds with anxious eyes. "You should try listening to him."

Zuko said nothing, continuing to gaze over the stormy sea. She sighed once more, folding her arms across her chest and shivering. The warm day had been driven away by the harsh cold wind.

"Is it true?" He asked after a while of silence. Kumo looked at him, averting her eyes from the storm. "That you can't swim, that you're afraid of the ocean?"

"Iroh told you, didn't he?" She huffed, before softening. "It's stupid, I know, but I just can't... not after..."

Zuko turned to face her, she saw concern in his eyes but brushed the idea away, this was Zuko she was talking about, like he'd ever care for her. He reached out, placing a warm hand on her cheek, her eyes widened in shock.

"I'll protect you, I promise." He promised, she smiled at him kindly. 

-

Kumo darted down the hallway. She'd eavesdropped on Iroh and the crews conversation, which she knew was wrong but she just couldn't ignore it. She pushed open the door to Zuko's chamber, trying hard not to disturb his practice.

He'd suggested that if she was scared then she and Kaze could stay in his chambers, she'd teased him about at first but as the storm got rougher she took him up on the offer. She'd already brought her sleeping matt in but forgot her blanket so went back for that.

Kaze rested in the corner, his pale blue eyes, the same shade of hers were closed, so she assumed he was asleep. She slumped down on her sleeping matt before rolling onto her front, watching Zuko. It was rare to see him so calm and focused, it was rare of him to open up to her.

She smiled fondly at the young prince. Maybe she did like him, more then she'd care to admit. Her peace and happiness was ripped away from her as a loud crash resounded and the ship shock. She was up on her feet within minutes, trembling.

Zuko shot up, before walking over to check her.

"Are you okay?" She nodded mutely, Zuko sighed before grabbing her hand and running out on the deck to check the damage. Kaze bounded after them quickly, not wanting to leave his master behind. The deck was soaked and the rain hammered down.

The crew were up, trying to keep their balance as the boat rock furiously. Zuko tightened his grip on Kumo's hand.

"Where were we hit?" Zuko asked, having to yell over the sound of the violent storm. Kumo grabbed his arm with her other hand as the boat rocked dangerously, threatening to capsize. 

"I don't know!" The lieutenant called, grabbing the scruff of Kaze as he slid across the deck, who then proceeded to dig his long claws into the deck.

"Look!" Iroh yelled, pointing up at the funnel. The helmsman held onto a bar of some kinds. Zuko turned to her, nodding to her before letting go of her hand and climbing the ladder to save the helmsman. Kumo leapt over, clutching onto Kaze as she watched in horror.

She feared he would fall and die. The lieutenant followed him up the ladder, both of them struggled as the boat swayed aggressively. A lightning bold struck down from the sky, hitting Iroh who directed it into the water. Kumo watched in awe but her attention was quickly drawn back to Zuko.

The helmsman fell, Zuko narrowly missed his hand. Her heart thudded in her chest as she let go of Kaze, gathering the wind around the falling man. He slowed down before landing on the ground softly.   She let out a sigh of relief but it didn't last long as the ship rocked once more, sending her tumbling of her feet.

She skidded across the deck, smashing into the wall before slipping through the railings, only just managing to grab it on time. She let out an heart-shattering scream. Zuko stared in horror as the girl he'd been trying to so desperately protect hung from the railings.

Zuko clambered down the ladder quickly, his heart began to beat insanely as he watched Kumo scream. Iroh tried to get to her but the weather pushed him back. Kaze bounded towards her but once again was sent skidding across the deck.

He ran to her, he watched her hand let go... He grabbed it just in time, hauling her up from certain death. She sobbed into his chest as he pulled her to him, keeping a tight grip on her this time. He noticed a figure fly through the sky, as did the crew.

"The avatar!" The lieutenant gasped. " What should we do sir?"

"Let him go." Zuko ordered. "We need to get this ship to safety."

"Then we must head directly into the eye of the storm."

And Iroh was right. The eye of the storm was much calmer but Zuko's hold on Kumo didn't lessen as the girl wouldn't stop shaking. Iroh couldn't help smile at the two.

"Uncle, I'm sorry." Zuko apologised. Iroh put a hand on his shoulder, telling him he was forgiven before wandering off . Zuko rested his chin on Kumo's head. "It's okay now, we're safe. I told you I'd protect you and I did."

"Thanks, Zuko."