Chapter Sixteen.

Kumo sighed, listening to the music the crew played, Iroh surprisingly could sing well. Moments like this were something she treasured, the fire warmed her skin, returning warmth to the girl. Iroh smiled fondly at her as she swayed to the music.

Two members of the crew were even dancing, it was very peaceful. Kumo stared down into her tea, not having the stomach to drink. Zuko had been strange around her, almost like he wouldn't let her go anywhere on her own.

She leaned her head back and gazed up at the moon which shared a likeness in colour to her hair.  But their time of relaxation didn't last long, as she heard the sounds of footsteps, so did the others. Zhao appeared out of the shadows, his trademark smirk rested upon his lips.

Kumo tensed, her hand twitched and ached to grab her fan. Zuko was holed up in his room, Kaze'd stayed with him, maybe he could sense the cloud of anxiousness the seemed to follow Zuko.

"What are you doing here?" Kumo growled, narrowing her icy eyes. Zhao's smirk widened, it irked her to no end. 

"Ah, I see you are here... Kumo, was it?" He asked, ill intent laced his words. Iroh frowned, glancing to Kumo and back to Zhao. If he said that the Fire Lord demanded her presence then there was nothing he could do to save her. "Is the banished prince here by any chance?"

"Well, this is his ship, isn't-"

"I'll go get him." Iroh said, stepping up from his seat. He gave Kumo a stern look. Zhao stepped forward.

"I think I'll go with you." Zhao insisted, walking towards Iroh but he turned, strutting straight up to Kumo. "I suggest you come with me."

Before Kumo could argue, he'd grabbed her forearm and dragged her with him over to Iroh. Kumo struggled at first but was stopped by Iroh who sent her a concerned shake of the head. They disappeared off into the cabin to find Zuko.

Iroh opened Zuko's chamber door carefully, Zuko was in there.

"For the last time, I'm not playing the horn." Zuko snapped. Kumo smirked at the recent memory of Iroh trying to convince Zuko to play the horn. She was fond of that moment. "Get Kumo to do it."

"No, it's about our plans, theres a bit of a problem." Iroh explained, beating around the bush carefully.  Zhao stepped into Zuko's room, taking Kumo with him.

"I'm taking your crew and your girl." Zhao shot, Zuko's eyes snapped to Kumo before flashing with anger, they returned to Zhao.

"What? Get your filthy hand's off her." Zuko snapped, turning to face Zhao and Kumo. He stepped forward.

"I assure you, my hands are no filthier then yours, I'm sure she won't mind mine." Zhao taunted, Kumo was outraged at the implications while Zuko's glare intensified. "But I am recruiting your crew for a little expedition to the North Pole."

"Uncle, is that true?" Zuko asked, his amber gaze switching to his uncle. Iroh sighed, before nodding gravely.

"I'm afraid so, he's taking everyone." Iroh explained, before wiping tears from his eyes. "Even the cook." 

"Oh, so now the cook is more important then me." Kumo snapped but winced when Zhao's grip on her arm became tighter.

"It's a shame you won't be there to watch me capture the avatar or hand your little girlfriend over to the Fire Lord." Zhao taunted. "But I can't have you getting in my way."

Zuko lunged at Zhao but was stopped by Iroh, who glared at him sternly. Kumo growled quietly but tensed when she heard another growl. The large form of Kaze stalked out of the shadows, his teeth gleamed in the light as he growled at Zhao.

"No, Kaze, sit." Kumo instructed, in fear of what would happen to Kaze if Zhao decided he was a threat. Zhao's grip loosened. Before he padded over in a daze to two swords that hung on the wall, pulling Kumo with him. He let Kumo's arm go to grab a sword of the wall.

"I didn't know you were skilled in the art of broad swords, Prince Zuko." Zhao noted, swinging the blade skilfully. Zuko's eyes widened as horror overcame his features, but he hid it quickly.

"I'm not, they're antiques." Zuko lied easily, glancing from Kumo's confused face to Zhao's. "Just decorative."

"Have you heard of the blue spirit, general Iroh?" Zhao asked, Kumo wasn't stupid and by connecting the dots, knew that Zhao thought there was some connection between the criminal and Zuko. 

"Just rumours." Iroh shrugged. "I don't think he's real."

"He's real alright, he's a criminal and an enemy of the Fire Nation." Zhao muttered, grabbing Kumo's wrist once more but keeping the broad sword in the other hand as he approached Zuko. " But I have a feeling justice will catch up with him soon."

Zhao was about to walk out but stopped.

"General Iroh, the offer to join my mission, still stands." Zhao suggested. Iroh frowned.

"Ah, Admiral Zhao, I will still decline your offer but I would appreciate it greatly if you returned Kumo to me, after all, I captured her." Iroh's subtle hostility seemed to knock Zhao down a peg or too as he shoved Kumo back into the room before leaving. "Thank you."

- (I got in wrong, Zuko has a bed not a futon, excuse my mistake)-

I sat silently on the edge of Zuko's bed, he'd asked me to stay incase Zhao came back. Zuko get grunted in frustration and glaring at the ceiling. I sighed.

"Zuko, are you alright?" I asked calmly, shuffling further up onto the bed. He sighed.

"What do you think?" He snapped.

"Okay, so thats a no-"

"How can you be so calm after what he said?" Zuko growled in frustration, grabbing a fistful of sheets. I hummed in confusion, crossing my legs. "About my hands."

"Oh, 'my hands are no filthier then yours, I'm sure she won't mind mine'." I recited, cringing at the implication but staying ever-composed. Zuko huffed, sitting up to chuck his pillow at me.

"Did you have to say it? Do you know what that means?" He grumbled, blushing a light shade of pink, crossing his arms over his knees. "He implied I...that I...and that he was going to..."

"Yeah, he did." I mumbled, shuffling to face Zuko, he looked so angry and frustrated. "It's just words, Zu-"

"It's not just words!" Zuko snapped. "Just the thought of his hands on you... If he'd of taken you, theres no saying he wouldn't have."

"I wouldn't let him, Zuko." I reassured, smiling at him. "Though I don't see why you're so frustrated."

"I would've broke my promise, I would've let you get hurt." He mumbled, looking down at his lap. I chuckled, his head shot up, thinking I'd laughed at him.

"Everyone says you don't care." I muttered. "But you do."