Chapter Thirteen.

I sighed, leaning against the wall. Zuko was back to the avatar.

"We haven't been able to pick up his trail since the storm." Lieutenant explained. "But if we continue heading northeast-"

A shadow covered the room, I spun round, watching as something black blocked the sun.  A fire nation ship. 

"What do they want?" Zuko growled. His gaze flickered to me. "Kumo, hide."

I nodded, darting in a broken air vent in the top left corner of room that was shrouded by shadows. I pulled my grey hood over my hair to hide the white. I'd bought a new cloak as my white one was only for blending in with the snow.

"Perhaps a sporting game of Pai Sho." Iroh suggested optimistically, clapping his hands together. I chuckled. 

-

They went on about the avatar and how the hunt for him had been given to 'Admiral Zhao' and all information should be sent to him. God, every time that man was even heard of, he'd been promoted. Iroh sat playing a game of Pai Sho with a fire bender.

"Zhao has been promoted? Good for him." Iroh said good-heartedly, winning the game of Pai Sho.

"I've got nothing to report to Zhao so get off my ship and let us pass." Zuko snapped, folding his arms. I was surprised, normally he'd just yell and spurt fire everywhere. 

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area." The man reported. I sighed as Zuko lost his temper. I spoke too soon. 

"Off my ship!" He roared, glaring at the men. Surprisingly they turned and left. Iroh started a new game of Pai Sho, winning the last one. Zuko glared out to sea and I leapt out of the vent, padding over to Zuko.

"Calm down, okay?" I whispered, leaning against the window. His eyes flickered to me before returning to sea. I sighed, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Don't shut me out again, Zuko, I'm here for you."

He let out a deep breath, he relaxed and his eyes became less guard and soft. I smiled.

"Kumo...I..."

"What, Zuko?"

"I-"

"I win again!"

-

"Is everything okay?" Iroh asked, watching Zuko train. Kumo was inside, brushing Kaze. "It's almost been an hour and you haven't given the men an order."

"I don't care what they do." Zuko snapped, looking forward and out at the tranquil ocean. He nearly said it, he nearly told her...

"Don't give up yet, you can still find the avatar before Zhao." 

"How, uncle? With Zhao's resources it's just a matter of time before he catches the avatar!" Zuko asked in despair. Iroh suspected the avatar wasn't the only thing bothering him. "My honour, my throne, my country, I'm about to lose them all."

"Prince Zuko, I sense that's not the only thing on your mind." Iroh sighed. Zuko clenched his fists. "And I sense it has something to do with Kumo, and the only advice I can give you is to follow your heart."

-

"Care for a game of Pai Sho?" Iroh asked me. I blinked. "I'm pretty sure you know all the rules by now, Kumo."

"But, I'd clearly never beat you." She shrugged, poking the monkey statue. It was creeping her out. Iroh chuckled. 

"It's not about winning, just a relax game of Pai Sho, I'll even make some tea." Iroh suggested, Kumo shrugged.

"Why not?"

They played the game in silence, Iroh was having a hard time keeping up with her, she always seemed to be a step ahead. He had to admit he was struggling but alas, he won anyway. 

"That was pretty good, Kumo." He praised, she sipping her tea gracefully. "You have a sharp mind."

"Thank you, Iroh." He chuckled, sipping his own tea as well. "I'm going to train."

"Do you mind if I watch?" Iroh asked, quite curious. He'd never seen her fight seriously, now would be a good time. Kumo shook her head before bounding of to ask a soldier to train with her. Two agreed and followed her back to the deck.

She drew her fans, gesturing for the soldiers to make the first move. They blasted fire at her, only for her to diffuse it was a gust of wind. In a blink of an eye, she shot forward, using wind to push herself forward. Iroh had seen her do that a lot, launch herself at her opponents.

She swung her fan down, slicing through the soldiers armour to his horror before spinning round to knock the other one back. The first one sent a stream of fire her way, she dodged by jumping to the side. The soldier ran at her, aiming a punch to her head.

She dodged but flames erupted from it, she used her air bending to throw herself back before landing on her feet. By now, the other soldier had recovered. They shot fire at her but she leapt in the air, twirling out the way. Iroh couldn't help but admire her fluid and graceful movements.

She dodged each attack, getting closer and closer each time before spinning around, slashing her fan viscously. Both soldiers were knocked back an incredible distance, they got shakily and surrenders. Iroh nodded in approval, she was strong though he didn't feel like she truly fought.

She slouched down next to him in a chair, sipping her tea. Iroh began playing a horn thing.  Zuko arrived back a good hour later.

"Where have you been, Prince Zuko?" Iroh asked, shooting his nephew a concerned look. "You missed music night! The lieutenant sang a stirring love song!"

"I'm going to bed." Zuko said, his voice was oddly calm. "No disturbances."

"He said no disturbances, but I think you should check on him." Iroh suggested to Kumo who sat still and tense. She shook her head. "Go on, tell him I sent you."

She sighed and got up from her seat, making her way to Zuko's chamber. She paused outside the door, unsure of what to do. Her visit would surely make Zuko mad at her but she was worried. She knocked on the door. Zuko groaned and told her to go away.

"I sai no disturbances, uncle." His voice seemed troubled.

"It's me, Zuko." She called, leaning against the door. "I...I just wanted to make sure you were okay, we were worried. I'm sorry I disturbed you, I'll go."

She turned to walk away but the door opened. Zuko stood in the room, shirtless and depressed. She stared at him with concerned eyes, he grabbed her arm, pulling her into his chamber before closing the door.

"I'm sorry." She said, nervously. He shook his head.

"It's...fine." He reassured, sighing. A moment of silence passed, before Zuko pulled her to him, embracing her. She tensed, unsure of what to do, before she could pull away he spoke.

"Just let me stay like this, okay? Just for a few more minutes."