Chapter Nine.

Kumo sighed, she couldn't escape the spirit world, Zuko was beginning to panic at her disappearance, he hoped she'd escaped but he doubted that was the case. He felt as though, she were here, even though she wasn't.

Kumo frowned, this had happened before... She shot up from the floor. She'd been in the spirit world on a solstice four years ago! 

-

"Ugh..." A younger white-haired Kumo groaned, cracking her eyes open. "What was that...?"

The young Kumo sat up in her bed. The igloo she slept in was cold and dark, she got up drowsily and pulled on her cloak over her night clothes. Something was off. Everything seemed to glow and shimmer. She glanced down at her hands. She screamed.

They were see-through. She heard another crash. Pulling on her boots, she ventured out into the camp. Nothing. Everyone was asleep. Her breath came out in dragons smoke that spiralled out like spider silk.

The thundering of paws on ice caught her attention, the ground trembled beneath her tiny feet. She dashed out of the village and into the inky black night, the noise seemed to be calling her. She hurried across the snowy landscape, her silvery hair bounced as she ran.

And then she saw it.

The great white beast bounded across the snowy plain, a set of tarnished silver armour adored it's form. It's eyes glowed yellow and battle scars littered it's body. It seemed to notice her and paced over to her. 

"What are...you?" Kumo managed to stutter out, her bare hands freezing and her small frame shivered like a leaf. The beast lowered it's head, it's warm breath halted the cold and heated her frozen skin. It sniffed her.

"I, my child, am Lang Yao." His voice was deep and rough, but held a soothing tone. "The guardian of these plains."

-

Lang Yao, the wolf demon of the north pole. She sighed, it didn't give her any help on how to get back. She frowned, before getting up and walking over to the door, placing a hand on the door. Kumo breathed a sigh of sorrow before turning and walking away.

But the door began to glow, light emitted from where her hand was placed and she felt a tug. She turned back round to see her hand sinking into the door, her instincts told her to go with it. Zuko stared horrified as the silhouette of who he assumed was Kumo appeared by the door, before vanishing.

Kumo gasped as she sunk through the door and into a world of some sorts. 

"Ah, I see you have joined us, daughter of Fuyu." Kumo gasped, the previous avatar stood in front of her. He smiled at her, Aang turned to her with a shocked expression. Kumo frowned. "Come, child, don't look so grim."

She walked closer to them, thoughts flashed through her mind. Daughter of Fuyu? Did he know her mother?

"How-... No, what do you mean by 'daughter of Fuyu'?" She asked cautiously, staring at him through narrowed eyes. He chuckled.

"That's your mothers name, child." He spoke gruffly but seemed friendly. Kumo narrowed her eyes even more, causing him to chuckle once more. "You seem confused child, but all will happen in due time. Ah, the solstice is ending."

She watched as Aang and the previous avatar said their goodbyes, she had her own questions but Aang's conversation seemed more important. She closed her eyes for a second but they snapped open when she felt immense energy.

The tattoos on Aang's body had lit up and his eyes glowed bright blue. Then darkness, Kumo's eyes flickered back to colour again and she watched as the last avatar began destroying the temple. Zuko ran as soon as the chains were broken.

That stung. She narrowed her eyes at his retreating figure. Kaze stood his ground, waiting for his master to emerge. The solstice ended, a strong current of wind enveloped the last avatar and when it receded, Aang stood there. 

Katara and Sokka ran over to him, Katara cradling his head, she took no notice of Kumo but Sokka did.   He watched with silent eyes as she darted away from view and back into the shadows. 

Kumo leapt out through a window, Kaze following her. They had a soft landing due to her air bending. She fumed silently about Zuko leaving her as she mounted her trusty companion. She set of down the mountain at incredible speeds, she reached the bay in no time.

Surprisingly, the boat she and Zuko had sailed in was still there, that didn't sway her furious mood. Kaze leapt onto the dock, surprising Zuko. Kumo slid of him and sent him a fiery glare.

"Thanks for leaving me, fire bender." He winced at the name, it wasn't an insult, but it seemed so cold. He frowned.

"I didn't realise you were still in there!" He yelled, crossing his arms. Kumo narrowed her eyes, Zuko's hard exterior faltered. She was really angry. She stormed past him.

"Oh, yeah sure! Leave me there for the fire lord to find! I'm surprised you didn't leave a note saying 'I found an air bender! Please let me come home because even though I'm just a disappointment, I still love you!'." She snarled, slumping down on the deck in a corner. 

He was about to insult her back but decided against it, keeping his mouth shut. Kaze growled at him as he padded past to sit with his master. Zuko sighed before going back to his telescope. He felt bad, really bad.