Chapter Eighteen

We surfaced shortly, Zuko threw himself out of the water and onto the ice, breathing deeply. I pulled myself out, Kaze scrambling after me. I patted the polar dog gratefully, if not for him then Zuko'd be doing this alone.

"You alright?" I asked, shuffling over to him. His eyes were screwed shut but quickly opened when I approached, he held up a hand to give him a minute. I did, and a few minutes later, he stumbled up. He suddenly began to shiver, I panicked, my air bending would only dry him." Zuko, use your fire."

He did as I said, blasts of fire shot out his mouth, he warmed up but the seals got louder. He hissed at them to be quiet as he walked through the cave, pulling me with him. His hands were freezing. I suppose I'd lived in the cold for long, he hadn't.

We walked into a small outclove, water poured out of a hole in wall, I dipped my hand in. It was warm.

"It's warm." I noted, turning to Zuko. He seemed to have the same idea as me. Zuko went first, struggling to swim up into the water but managed eventually, then it was me and Kaze, I clung onto his fur for dear life. The dark tunnel opened up into a bigger pocket eventually and Kaze swam up for air.  Zuko was already there.

"You okay?" I asked him again. He nodded before dunking his head underwater, looking for a passage. I draped myself over Kaze, panting heavily. I hated water, this would not change anything. Zuko came back up to the air pocket.

"Theres a tunnel, are you alright to continue?" He asked, placing a hand on my back. I nodded, clutching onto Kaze as they both dived down again. I kept my eyes scrunched closed as they swam through the water, I could feel the current lessen. 

But, we stopped. I looked up, there was no break in the ice, Zuko glanced down at me before returning his stare to the ice. He placed both palms on it, melting it quickly. He clambered out, slumping onto the cold ground, I followed, scrambling out of the hole ungracefully.

Kaze was last, watching us as we lay on the ground, shivering and gasping for breath. Zuko sat up and even in the dim light, I saw the affects of the explosion for the first time. I gasped, cupping a hand over my mouth before shuffling over to him.

"Zuko, you're face..." I cried worriedly, bringing my hand up to cup his cheek. He had a black eye and several cuts littered his face. He sighed, leaning into my hand, momentarily closing his eyes.

"You're worried about me, yet you..." He trailed off, not knowing how to word it. I frowned, guessing he was referring to the large burn mark that covered my stomach. Iroh had bandaged it up for me and I hadn't really noticed it. 

"I'm fine, I can hardly feel anything." I reassured, smiling at him. A ghost of a smile braced his face, brightening my mood. He got up, helping me up next.

"We should get going." He sighed. "Or the avatar will get away."

-

"Well, aren't you a big girl now?" Zuko taunted, I trailed behind him with Kaze, who seemed wary of the cavern we'd entered. I was too, a weird feeling settled in my gut and I just couldn't shake it. 

"No..." Katara muttered in horror, her eyes flickered once to me but then returned to Zuko.

"Yes, hand him over and I won't have to hurt you." Zuko warned, Katara got into a water bending stance anyway. I paused, the moon would make her stronger, not only that but, the south pole had many experienced water benders, she'd have been training... 

I glanced behind Katara at the girl behind her. My eyes widened, her hair was white, just like mine... The girl turned tail and ran as Zuko got into stance, making the first move. Their fight was intense, but Katara seemed more reckless then usual.

I paused, my heart began to thud. What was this feeling? Then pain, a burning pain that shot up my body, tightening like a snake around my heart. I cried out in pain, falling to my knees.

"Kumo!" Zuko yelled, trying to fight the ice that pinned him to a wall, but it was too late. My vision began to tint blue and before I knew it, the spirit world had taken it's hold on me. Zuko narrowed his eyes at my invisible form but said nothing, melting the ice as the sun began to rise.

He shot a fireball at Katara, who didn't have time to block as it sent her barrelling into a tree, knocking her unconscious. Zuko walked forward, looking around the cavern

"Kumo." He called, I padded over in my spirit form but alas, he could not see me. Kaze bounded over to Zuko, nudging his shoulder with his nose. I frowned, they couldn't touch me but...maybe... I grabbed Kaze's shoulder, swinging myself onto the hulking dog. I smirked to myself.

Zuko grabbed Aang, glancing back to Kaze. He then began his journey up to the top of the cavern, slinging Aang onto his back. Kaze followed agilely, taking me with him. I chewed my lip, how was I going to get back?

-

I sighed, rubbing my arms as I watched Zuko venture through the blizzard plains, I wanted nothing more then to reach out and help him, but I couldn't. Kaze whimpered every now and again, but otherwise, everything was quiet.

The only noise was the storming blizzard, which broke even the toughest spirits. Aang was still in the spirit world.

I froze.

First I heard it.

The deafening howl of wolves echoed throughout the plain, only I seemed to hear it. It tugged at my heart, filling my blood with familiarity. Was that...?

And then I saw it.

The colossal form of Lang Yao, running through the blizzard, the wind seemed to swirl around his giant paws as he ran, eyes wide and feral, but held a comforting gaze. Smaller white wolves followed his lead, bounding after their leader.

Something in me wanted to follow them, run free and wild with the wolves. But another held me back, not willing to desert the people I cared for,

And so, the wolves ran on, without me.