Chapter 3

Later that night, when we get back to the Institute, Izzy is standing in the weaponry.

"Hey," she says as we enter the room.

"Hey," I say.

"So, where'd you guys end up going?"

"Izzy," Alec sighs. "Don't."

"Don't what?" I ask.

"She's gonna do that annoying sister thing, where if I hang out with a girl she's gotta turn it into a big thing."

I sigh. "All we did was get pizza, it's not a big deal."

"Not yet, it isn't," she says.

"Isabelle Lightwood!" Alec yells.

So Izzy is short for Isabelle. Good to know.

"What?" she asks.

He sighs. "I'll see you around, Charlotte." He walks out of the room.

"So," Izzy says while walking over to me. "What happened?"

"What do you mean what happened?"

"Anything interesting?"

"You mean like, did we get attacked by demons?"

"No, I mean anything like, did he ask you out?"

"Oh my god Izzy I've known him for literally not even a day."

"So?"

I sigh. "I'm too tired to have this conversation, if we have to have it we'll have it in the morning."

"I'm gonna hold you to that."

I sigh and start walking towards my room.

Once I'm up the stairs, something grabs my arm.

I quickly take my dagger from my boot and turn to whatever grabbed me, only to be faced by Alec. "Don't scare me like that," I say while putting my dagger away.

"I didn't think you'd pull a weapon out on me. Maybe I should've just spoken."

"You think? I could've stabbed you."

"Yes, but you didn't."

I sigh. "What do you want?"

"I wanna apologize about Izzy, she doesn't have many girl-friends so she always tries to make the most out of them before they're gone."

I look down the stairs, at the room I just left. "She doesn't have many girl-friends?"

"She doesn't have many friends in general. She's got me, and Jace, and now you. That's about it."

I sigh and turn back to him. "Let me tell her about the date." I know what it's like to be in her shoes, and I wanna let her have the friend she wants.

"What's that gonna matter?"

"She wants to have a friend who she can help pick out outfits for and give advice and stuff, I can tell just by the way she was acting. Let me be that friend for her."

He sighs. "All right, go ahead."

"I just wanna be a good friend to your sister."

He smiles slightly. "My family is gonna love you."

I chuckle. "Maybe, maybe not. Let's get past the first date before we start talking about family."

"Well you've already met Izzy. There's just my parents and my younger brother left."

"Well let's hold off on meeting the rest of the family, shall we?"

He laughs a little. "Sorry, sorry."

"I'm gonna go talk to Izzy, I'll see you in the morning."

He nods as I start walking back down the stairs, towards the weaponry to talk to Izzy.

"Hey," I say when I enter the room.

"Hey," she says while turning to face me.

"Come. I wanna talk to you."

She nods and follows me as I go back up the stairs and go to my room. "I don't want anyone to listen in."

She nods and steps into the room. "Everything okay?"

I shut the door quietly. "I've got a date with your brother on Friday."

"I knew it!"

I chuckle. "How could you tell?"

"Oh, a lot of stuff. He was getting mad that I was asking about it, he was saying earlier that he thinks he might like you... lots of stuff was setting it off. What's the date?"

"What do you mean what's the date?"

"What're you guys gonna do?"

"We're gonna go to a movie."

"What movie?"

I sigh. "I don't know, Izzy. We'll probably just decide when we get there. You're not coming, if that's what you're trying to get at."

"No, no I don't third-wheel on people's dates. Especially not Alec's."

"He ever been on a date before?"

She shakes her head. "That's a big reason why I don't wanna third-wheel, it's his first. Have you?"

I nod slightly. "Yeah, a couple times."

"What're you gonna wear?"

"Just casual clothes."

She nods. "I'll be over on Friday to help you pick those casual clothes."

I chuckle. "Izzy, it's just a movie. He's not even gonna be able to see me."

"But still. Please?"

I sigh. I've gotta let her, she doesn't have anyone else she could do this with and I feel bad. "Okay. But nothing too fancy or revealing."

"It's going to the movies, not like, clubbing or something."

I chuckle. "You guys go clubbing?"

"Sometimes when we're bored we'll go hang out at Pandemonium. If you ever come along, that'll be when you wear the revealing stuff."

"I'm not wearing revealing clothing unless I'm hunting."

She sighs. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

I sigh. "I just wanted to tell you, please don't bother Alec about it."

She nods. "Of course. By the way, you know today is Thursday, right? He meant tomorrow."

I nod. "I know that, Izzy. I'm not stupid."

"Never said you were. I'll be by tomorrow to help you out."

"I don't need help."

"But you're getting it anyways." She smiles at me before opening the door and leaving the room.

I sit down on my bed with a sigh after closing the door that she left open. What an eventful day this was.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be even better.