Chapter 25

A couple hours later, Alec comes running up to me. "Charlotte, we need to talk."

My eyes widen. Did he somehow find the pregnancy test? I buried it under stuff in the trash, he couldn't have found it. "Is-is everything okay?"

He sighs. "This really isn't easy to do but... um..."

"Don't be afraid, Alec. Just say it."

"I'm not sure if this is working."

"If what is working?"

"You and me."

My eyes widen. "What? WHAT?!"

"I-I'm sorry I-"

"You lied to me! You told me you loved me, you made me want to fucking live! You asked me to fucking marry you! And now you're breaking up with me?!"

"I know it's an asshole move-"

"Yes, it is! You're an asshole, Alec Lightwood." I take the engagement ring he gave me off my finger and drop it. "And I sincerely hope the baby is nothing like you."

His eyes widen. "W-what baby?"

"I'm pregnant. Surprise, bitch." I slap him across the face then turn around and head towards my room, tears streaming from my eyes.

"Char?" Izzy asks when I pass her. When I ignore her, she follows me. "Charlotte!"

I run to my room, slam the door shut, and lay down face-first on my bed. I really thought Alec was the one for me.

The door opens, someone (probably Izzy) walks in, and shuts the door behind themselves.

"Charlotte," Izzy says. Yep, it's her.

"Go away," I say, though my voice is muffled by pillows and sounds weird because I'm crying.

"What happened?"

I slowly sit up and wipe my eyes. "Apparently, I'm not going to be your sister-in-law after all."

"What?"

"Your brother just dumped me."

"What the hell?! Why?!"

"He said he doesn't think things are working between me and him."

"That's insane!"

I wipe my eyes and take a deep breath. "Isabelle Lightwood, I hereby sever our parabatai bond."

"Char, what're you doing?"

"I'm leaving. I'm leaving this Institute, and I'm not coming back."

"Where are you going to go?"

"Anywhere. I just can't stay here. My baby shouldn't have to be here, once they're born."

"Wait... baby?"

"I'm pregnant. Alec is the father. The baby shouldn't have to live with that once they're born, so I'm getting out now."

"When were you going to tell me about this?"

"Alec dumped me before I even had the chance to tell him."

"Maybe it'd change his mind?"

"No, I yelled it at him then left. Plus, why would I go back to him? He was all I had, he left me. He promised me he wouldn't. Why the fuck should I stay?"

"For me and Jace. We can help you."

I shake my head as I stand up and grab my duffle-bag from under my bed.

"Char, let's talk this out. I'll go get Alec and we'll sort this all out."

"I don't want to sort it out! What I want is to get out of here!"

"You can't leave."

"Fucking watch me." I go over to my closet with my duffle-bag in hand, shove all my clothes into it within a matter of seconds, and then grab anything else I'll need.

"Charlotte-"

"You can't convince me to stay, Isabelle. Not at this point. I'm done." I grab a pad of paper from inside my nightstand, grab my dagger, and slice my arm.

"CHARLOTTE STOLON!"

I dip my finger into the blood that's pooling out of my arm and write don't find me in my own blood.

"Please don't do this." She takes out her stele. "Let me draw a healing rune-"

"No. I could've grabbed a pen, I want to bleed. I want the pain."

"Charlotte-"

"I'm sorry Isabelle." I take the seraph blade Alec gave me and stab it into the wall, using it as a way to hold up the note written in my blood.

"With Valentine on the loose-"

"With any luck I'll die quickly. Thank you for being my best friend, but I can't stay here anymore."

"I'll go with you."

"Your family's here. Besides, it's dangerous. I'm going alone. Goodbye, Isabelle."

"I can find someone else for you."

I shake my head. "I think I need to be on my own for now. Maybe I'll see you eventually. Maybe." I put my duffle-bag over my shoulder and walk down towards the exit of the Institute.

"Where are you going?" Jace asks me.

"Away."

"What happened?"

"Alec thought this was a perfect time to break up with me. After being with me for a year, asking me to marry him, and getting me pregnant."

"You're pregnant?"

I nod. "Yes, I am. Which is why I have to leave."

"You can't. You're one of my best friends."

I shake my head. "You'll forget me eventually. I can't stay anymore. I'm sorry."

"What about Izzy? Your parabatai bond?"

"I severed it."

His eyes widen. "Charlotte-"

"You don't control what I do. Goodbye, Jace." I turn and walk out of the Institute, tears streaming from my eyes.

--

After many hours, once it's getting dark outside, I sit down against a wall and put my head in my hands.

"You lost?" a rather tall, bald man asks me.

I shake my head. "More like homeless."

He looks at my arms, which are covered in runes.

"Oh those are nothing-"

"You're a Shadowhunter."

"How do you know about those?"

"I'm one too. If you need a place to stay-"

"I couldn't ask that of a stranger."

"Then consider me a friend."

"I can find someplace on my own. But thank you."

"Are you sure?"

I nod. "Yeah." I take out my stele and draw a nourishment rune on my arm.

"Hungry?"

"Well, I'm feeding for two."

"You're pregnant?"

I nod again.

"Then you need somewhere to go. Come on."

"You're a stranger, how do I know you won't rape me? Or kill me?"

"If you trust me, I won't. So, I suggest you trust me."

"Why?"

He grabs my arms, pins them behind my back, and covers my mouth. "Because," he says quietly. "My name is Valentine."