Chapter 18

At a cemetery, Jace is pacing around looking for something.

"What are you doing?" Clary asks.

"There's a grave here with weapons hidden in it."

"Grave-robbing is not in my job description. Neither is walking around in the freezing cold in a dress that hardly covers my thighs."

"Actually," Izzy says, "that part actually is in your job description."

I sigh. "Gotta save Mundies," I whisper to myself. "Gotta save the Mundie. That's in my job description." I yawn and lean against a tree.

Alec whispers something to Izzy and Jace, then turns to me. "Hey, come here for a second."

I walk over to them and lean against Alec, my eyes begging to close and go to sleep. "Yeah?"

"We know that you've got a bad history with vamps," Izzy says. "Last time we fought some we noticed you almost cried a little."

"Are we gonna talk about that? Because if so, I'm not interested."

"No. We were gonna say that since they're vamps, and there's four of us here, you don't have to do it."

"I'm supposed to protect Mundanes."

"Yeah," Alec sighs. "But you've saved so many Mundanes that we've all lost count. I think we can handle this one."

"But I'd feel bad."

"Charlotte. Go back to the Institute."

"What if I wanna help?"

"Do you?"

I yawn again as I nod. "I do. I'm not leaving if you're fighting vamps."

"Charlotte."

"No. I can't take a chance of losing someone else I love to vampires. I'm not letting it happen."

"I won't let it," Izzy says. "I promise."

"Do you guys just not want me here?"

"We're looking out for you," Jace sighs. "Plus, the goal isn't to kill these vamps. Just get the Mundane and get out."

I sigh. "How long will you be?"

"Not long," Alec replies while grabbing my hands and turning to face me. "We'll be back before you know it. I promise."

"You'd better come prove to me that you're alive when you get back."

"I'll send Izzy to you."

"No. You physically."

"If I get caught in there-"

I take my stele out of my boot and hand it to him. "You won't get in trouble for returning my stele to me."

"Charlotte-"

"I won't need it. I'm just gonna sit in my room and sleep. Wake me up when you're there."

He sighs. "This isn't a choice, is it?"

"You know me so well. This is why I love you."

He smiles slightly. "Well I don't need the stele, I'll figure something out if I get caught."

I take my stele and put it back in my boot. "I'll see you soon."

He kisses my forehead and lets go of my hands.

I slowly turn and walk out of the graveyard, heading towards the Institute.

**A/N hey guys! I made this short chapter because I've gotta do a note. So, wxckedpsycho made me 5 possible covers for this book, I'm attaching the first one with this chapter and I'll post the next 4 with the next four chapters. Whatever chapter with a cover option has the most votes by this time next week, that cover will be the new book cover!