Chapter 24

Alec fires an arrow at the strange man that enters the Institute. The man slowly changes, and becomes a woman.

"Who are you?" I ask as I pull my seraph blade out of its sheath (which is now on my leg).

"Lydia Branwell," the woman says as she walks into the Institute. "The Clave sent me here, I'm supposed to run this place temporarily because of all the recent demonic activity."

"The Lightwoods are doing just fine."

"Not as fine as you think."

"Charlotte," Alec says as he grabs my arm.

"You're Charlotte Stolon? Best Shadowhunter in Idris? What are you doing here?"

"Other than trying not to kick your ass?" I ask. "I live here. I moved here after I killed the vampires that killed most of my family and turned my brother."

She walks over to a screen that shows the perimeter of the Institute.

"I should kick her ass right now," I say quietly.

"Don't," Alec says.

"Your family was doing a perfectly fine job at-"

"You mean those ex-Circle members?"

"Excuse me?"

"My parents. They followed Valentine."

I sigh and shake my head. "I thought they hated him."

"Maybe now. But not back then."

I look down at the ground. "I thought your parents were better than that."

"So did I..."

--

"I'll be right back," Alec says to me.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"I've gotta go with Lydia for a bit, I'll be back soon."

"Okay," I sigh. "Love you."

"Love you too." He kisses my cheek quickly then runs off.

I sit back in my chair, sigh, and take out my seraph blade.

"You okay?" Clary asks me.

I nod. "I'm fine. Why?"

She sighs. "Just asking."

"Are you?"

"I don't even know anymore."

"You know it'll get easier, right?"

"That's easy for you to say. You grew up a Shadowhunter, I was raised a mundane."

"You'll get used to it. I'll be like breathing, soon. Easier. You won't even think of what you're doing as you do it. It'll be your second nature."

She looks at me. "Are you sure?"

I nod. "I'm positive." And speaking of positive, so was my pregnancy test.

**A/N hey guys! Yes, the end of this chapters implies that Alec and Charlotte had sex. No, I'm not going to write smut. That isn't my thing, but it's important to something I have planned for the story so it's there