Chapter 17

"Hey Char," Jace says to me a couple hours later while approaching me. "You up to go back to Pandemonium tonight?"

I sigh. "It isn't a choice, is it?"

"It's always a choice."

"Yeah, there's a good choice and a bad choice. What time are we leaving?"

"Like, an hour. Dress for demons."

I sigh but nod. "All right. Are we gonna bring Clary with us?"

He nods. "And sadly the Mundane."

"What's wrong with him?"

"He shouldn't be here."

"Jace, we live to protect the Mundanes."

"Yeah, but no one ever said we have to like all of them."

I roll my eyes. "You don't even know him."

"And you do?"

"No. But I'm not gonna judge him before getting to know him."

He sighs. "Just go get dressed before Izzy makes you wear something worse than last night."

"The only thing she could make me do on a hunt that's worse than that is make me go naked."

"And she might do that if she finds you and you're not dressed. So, go."

I nod and go up to my room, grab a demon-hunting dress, and quickly change. I take a few of my throwing runes and my dagger, then go down to the weaponry.

"Hey," Alec says from behind me.

I turn around to face him. "Hey."

"I got you something."

I sigh. "Alec. Why?"

"Because I got it for our anniversary, but it came in today."

I sigh. "What is it?"

He pulls something from behind his back. A seraph blade and a bow. "These two weapons were manufactured together, and had the binding rune placed on them. One half on the bow, the other on the sword." He holds the sword out to me. "The weapons can't be too far apart for too long, or they'll start to lose some special abilities they have. So, it's a way for us to always come back to each other."

I smile, take the sword, and hug him. "That's so sweet. Thank you."

"You like it?"

"I love it." I give him a quick kiss on the cheek, then hold out the sword. "So these seriously have half a rune on them?"

He nods and puts the bow beside the sword, and I can see the binding rune if I concentrate on it. "Pretty cool, isn't it?"

"How did you find this?"

"I had it special made."

I look up at him, and the smile on my face grows. "That's so sweet. Thank you."

He smiles at me and presses his lips against mine.

"Oh gross!" Clary's voice yells from across the weaponry, scaring me and causing me to jump away from Alec.

Alec puts his arm around me and looks at her. "What?"

She looks at me. "Isabelle was right, it wouldn't be cute once I walked in on you two making out."

I roll my eyes. "You need something?"

"Yeah, a weapon."

I turn around, grab a dagger off the wall, and pass it to her.