Chapter 15

"C'mon," Izzy says while dragging me down towards the Infirmary.

"Why?" I ask.

"That girl from Pandemonium, she's in there."

I sigh but follow as she drags me into the room where the redhead girl is stirring.

"Huh?" She says as she slowly opens her eyes. "Who-who are you? You were at Pandemonium last night... Where my mother?"

"Save a few questions," Izzy says. "Just calm down."

"Someone kidnapped my mother and now you lunatics have kidnapped me."

"We didn't kidnap you," I sigh. "We saved your ass."

"That guy with the blond hair killed Dot!"

"Well she was probably a demon then."

Alec walks into the room and looks at Izzy and I. "What's with the Mundie?"

"This Mundie," Jace sighs as he enters the room, "is a Shadowhunter. So, not a Mundie."

"What the hell are you people talking about?!" The girl exclaims in fright.

"We're not gonna hurt you," I say in a soft and gentle voice. "I know this is a lot to process and very frightening, but calm down. Take a deep breath, and we'll explain everything."

She looks at me curiously. "Why should I trust you?"

"You shouldn't. You don't know me, I'm a total stranger to you. But, I'm also gonna help you get your mother back. And that's why you are going to trust me."

She sighs and sits back in her hospital bed.

"I got this," I say to Izzy, Jace, and Alec.

"I'll stay with you," Alec says.

I shake my head. "Just me and her right now. It'll be easier."

He looks at the girl, then at me, and then to Izzy and Jace. "Let's go." The three of them leave the room, leaving me with the redheaded girl.

"So," I say as I sit down beside her bed. "What's your name?"

"Clary," she says rather reluctantly while giving me a suspicious look.

I nod. "I'm Charlotte. Now, you wanna tell me what happened to you when your mother got taken?"

She sighs. "My friend Dot ran into the room, saying that someone had found my mother. Then she quickly had Dot open up a portal, have me some necklace, then sent me off."

I nod. "Okay. Well first, your friend Dot is obviously a witch, only witches and warlocks can open portals."

"How are you gonna help new find my mom?"

"Because there's a rumor going around, that a very bad Shadowhunter is trying to rise again. He could want something from her."

"Do you know where he is?"

I shake my head. "No, I don't. But you could help us figure it out."

"How?"

"Because if he wants something from her, he probably wants something from you too. And then when he comes, we'll follow him and rescue your mother. That sound like a solid plan?"

She takes a deep breath. "I wanna call Simon, I wanna bring him here."

"Simon is...?"

"He's my best friend."

I sigh. "He's most likely a Mundane, he wouldn't be able to come here."

"Well then I'm going to see him."