Chapter 16

A couple hours later, there's a knock on my door.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"Isabelle."

I open up the door and see her standing with Clary. "Why is she here?" I point to Clary.

"I didn't know," Clary says. "I was just mad and upset and scared about my mom."

"Yeah," I sigh. "I know what that's like. Being scared and mad and upset about having someone taken away from you so suddenly you hardly believe it's happening."

"I'm so sorry. If I knew I wouldn't have said any of it."

I sigh. "Well I don't exactly tell people in the first conversation I have with them."

"Is that why you put up with that Alec guy?"

I chuckle and shake my head. "No, I actually love Alec. He might be an ass, but he's my ass. Okay, that sounds wrong."

She laughs a little. "He's a jerk, but he's your jerk?"

I nod. "Exactly. But he isn't always a jerk. Only sometimes."

"Is he ever a jerk to you?"

I shake my head. "He's never mean to me, and I'm never mean to him. I mean, we tease each other all the time, that's what you do when you're in a relationship. But we're too scared of losing each other to insult each other."

"That's adorable."

"Eh," Izzy sighs. "You won't be saying that when you walk in on them making out."

"Look who's talking little-miss third wheel."

"I didn't know it was a date! All you were doing was watching TV!"

"Exactly! It's a less expensive movie date."

"Well then I repaid you yesterday with the food and soda."

I chuckle and roll my eyes. "You're lucky that you're my best friend. And my boyfriend's sister."

"And your parabatai. Don't forget that part."

Yup, Izzy and I are parabatai now. On my birthday, she walked up to me and told me that she wanted me to know that no matter what happens, she'll always be my best friend. So, she asked me to be her parabatai. "I know." I smile slightly. "Though I don't have the best experience with parabatai, a third-wheel is better than a guy who gets my family killed."

"See?"

"What's a parabatai?" Clary asks.

"We swore an oath in front of the Clave that we'd fight together no matter what, unless one of us dies or backs out."

"Would've thought you'd do that with your boyfriend," she says to me.

I shrug. "I wanted to but one, he's already got one. And two, if we ever broke up then it'd be awkward."

"But couldn't you just back out?"

"It isn't that simple," Izzy sighs. "It's actually really complicated to do."

"So you two are basically tied together?"

She nods, steps into the room, and throws an arm around my shoulders. "Besties forever."

I look down at the ground as I chuckle. "I get to deal with embarrassing things like that."

"So your last parabatai," Clary says, "he got your family killed?"

I sigh but nod. "Yeah, he did."

"And, he was also your boyfriend?"

I nod again. "Yeah."

"Then why are you trusting Alec and Isabelle not to hurt you?"

"Because they've promised, and I believe them."

"Why?"

I sigh. "I don't know why, I just do."

"Well," Izzy sighs after we stand in silence for a moment. "Now that you two have made up, let's get to work on finding Clary's mom."

**A/N hey guys! So, yesterday I put up an idea for a new cover and I got no feedback. Just leave a comment saying if you like the new one or the one I have now better. Please?