Chapter 9

The Second Task

It had been a couple of months since the Yule Ball and the second task would be taking place tomorrow. Cedric figured out that it was to take place in the Black Lake and he would take swims there every so often while I kept his time. He had an hour to find whatever was going to be taken and none of the other Champions knew what would be taken. I decided to ask my dad, which wasn't a great idea but it was the only idea I had.

"Hello, dad, um I've got a question about the tournament," I spoke softly in his office.

"Did Diggory put you up to this?" he sneered Cedric's last name. Scoffing, I set my hands on my hips.

"Actually no he didn't, I'm here on my own accord. I just want to know what's going to be taken down to the Black Lake," I retorted. Snape paused a while not knowing how to answer my question.

"I'm afraid I can't answer that, it's against the rules," he responded with a nonchalant tone.

"So you can't even give me a hint?" I asked, pushing a little. Snape continued grading papers and shook his head.

"No, I can't and I won't," he replied. Sighing and rolling my eyes, I tried one last time.

"Is that your final answer, then?" I probed, giving him one last opportunity to give me an answer.

"Yes," he answered, not looking up at my face.

"Okay, well then I better get going," I finished with a huge sigh. Turning to leave Snape's voice caught me as I stood at the threshold.

"I forgot to mention that you are needed by Professor Moody right about now, so I suggest you go see him instantly, oh and Raven, would you be so good to tell your half brother to stop stealing from my Potions Cabinets?" He sneered the last part, like the fact that Harry and I being siblings repulsed him.

"I highly doubt it's Harry stealing from you but I'll tell him anyway, if that'll make you happy," I answered, with a huge sigh. I left his office and headed down into Professor Moody's office.

Sometimes I wished that I hadn't known who my father was because at least I didn't have to wonder how to make him happy but then again, I would've wondered about my mother and whether or not she was a whore - apart of me still kind of thought that, only because I never knew what she was like and I didn't know how she was in school. You'd think living with my mother's parents I would know more about her but I didn't. They never liked talking about her so I had nothing to go on..

I was just about to go into Moody's office when my shoulder was tugged on, I looked behind me and saw Cedric.

"Hey, didn't you hear me calling you?" he asked faintly panting.

"Sorry, no too deep in thought I guess. I'm just about to go to Moody's office – Snape said he needed to see me."

"What's wrong?" he asked, softly.

"Nothing really, I'm just really confused right now, that's all," I answered truthfully.

"Confused about what?" he asked.

"It's a uh fatherly thing," I responded vaguely, not really wanting to talk about it. Cedric looked around both sides of the corridor, seeing that the coast was clear we moved to the wall and sat on a nearby bench with his arm wrapped around me.

"What's happened?" he asked very softly.

"Nothing that's the thing. I've tried everything to make him happy but it's the same tone and face all over. I'm beginning to think that he didn't even want me to know about him. I still think that he's my teacher instead of a dad. I always thought that when I met my father it would've been a happy time but it's only been hard work, trying to please him or at least trying to make him smile," I complained to Cedric. Cedric pondered on my words, thinking of some kind of explanation for his behavior.