Chapter 1

I had just woke up. The sun was shining in on my face, "UH, how I hate waking up on Mondays. What time is it? Oh, 10:45. That's cool. Wait, 10:45! I'm gonna be late."

I grab a granola bar, put clothes on and go as fast as my legs can take me.

As I go Mrs. Haria yells, "Late again, I see!"

I respond halfway down the road, "Sadly!"

When I arrive at the school, I run to the classroom and put my stuff away.

As I sit, Hariko sneers at me, "Look who's late."

"Hariko I don't need this right now. I'm tired, and out of breath. Can't you leave me alone." I respond.

"I could, but this is more fun." She said with a joyful smile. I couldn't stay mad at her for long. The rest of the school day went well. Not much out of the ordinary. When it was time to go I ran into Shiann.

"Hi Kenji. Why were you late?" Shiann said walking over to me.

"Hi, Shiann. I just overslept. Mondays suck for me." I said with a voice full of sorrow.

"They suck for everyone. Though the kindergarteners made it Kenji. Kindergarteners." She snapped. I could of really gone through this morning fine without her sass.

After getting my ear twisted by Shiann, I met up with Hariko at the edge of school grounds. We began to walk home together as we always did. We talked for awhile about things like the changing seasons, things in school, and our personal lives.

"Oh, I remembered something I found. Kenji, c'mon I know where something cool is." She said as she took my hand, and led me to a break in the foliage. She motioned for me to follow. She went through the opening. I soon followed and saw berries of all shapes and sizes.

"What is this place?" I asked.

"A berry grove. I found it yesterday. While you stayed inside all day." She responded.

"How'd you find it?" My curiosity building.

"It was easy with the treeline showing the opening. I just let my curiosity lead me here." She said with pride in her voice.

"You amaze me sometimes." I said smiling.

"I know I'm pretty amazing, aren't I? She said head held high.

"Careful the clouds might mess your hair up." I remarked.

"Oh, shut up. You're just jealous." She said back glaring at me.

We returned to the road not long after. Harika and I continued to talk, until we parted ways. I arrived home, and put my stuff up. My stomach growled as I took off my shoes. "I'm starving. I forgot I just had a granola bar today. I'll just fix something easy today." I rush to the kitchen, and I just fix cupped ramon. I sit down on the couch, when I hear a knock at my door.

I opened it up, and found Harika on my porch. She smiled at me with her hands full of plates of food.

"You don't have to do this you know?" I say, even though there was some food in my mouth.

She looks at me and says, "I know, but when your moms gone all you eat is cupped ramon. That's unhealthy if you eat too much Kenji."

"Thanks for the food though Harika. I appreciate it." I said smiling.

"Your welcome. If I didn't' watch out for you, who would. Let's face it you'd be dead without me."

"I beg to differ. Also watch out for meteors. Your head is so far up there you might catch a few."

"Oh, shut it," she smiled at me.

After I had cleared my plate, and had my fill of the food I sat down on the couch. Harika called to me from the doorway, "Don't be late this time. Next time, I'll chew you out too. Not just Shiann." I hear footsteps then the door close.

"Yes, mother." I whisper to myself. I watched some t.v., before walking upstairs. I get ready for bed the usual way of getting a shower. I hear what I think is walking up the steps. I grab a towel. I open my door and gaze down my stairwell. No one is there. Mom won't be back for another day or two. I walk out of the bathroom to my room. Nothing has been touched in the slightest. I did the same to my mother's room. Same result.

"That's weird I swear I heard something" I said a little creeped out. Maybe being in the house alone is getting to me. Well, it's an old house. Old houses creak right? I tell myself to be calm.

"Your acting six. That's right. It's just the house. You'll be fine." I take a deep breath, and return to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I finished getting dressed, then I headed for my room. I sat on my bed. My room was cold, though the warm spring breeze from the cracked window warmed me up. My room was clean, if you call my dresser top being jampacked. As well, as my hamper. Though for me that was clean.

I walked over to my light switch. As I reached for the switch, a overwhelming feeling of just sheer cold, and being watched overwhelmed my body. I couldn't move. I was just frozen. Like someone had hit the pause button on the remote. I used all my strength to flip the switch. I ran to my bed and dove under the covers.

The cold feeling was gone. Though the other feeling just wouldn't leave. No matter how tired I was. I tossed and turned. Yet, I couldn't shake it.

"Listen, you're not scared of the dark are you?" I said to myself. I laughed and turned over. I was half asleep, when I heard the same creak I had heard in the bathroom. I look around my room. Nothing. Just dark and empty.

"I'm going crazy. The house is just old. Get hold of yourself." Why is this happening?

Then I saw it. In my door way, was a red pair of eyes. Just staring at me. I shut my eyes, and counted to three. When I opened them, the eyes were gone. Then I saw them again. Gazing from my closet. I jumped out of my bed. I ran to the light switch, and flipped it. I looked to my closet. Nothing was there. Just clothes and shoes.

I flipped the switch again. Nothing still. I went back to my bed. I woke up in the middle of the night to whispers. I rolled over. The eyes were back. Only this time in my mother's room across the hall. I didn't sleep much that night. I had to tell someone in the morning. Just who was the real question. No one is gonna believe this.