Chapter 2

After the experience, I woke up looking drained. I got up slowly making the least amount of noise possible. I grabbed what you could call breakfast. Nothing more than a granola bar and a bottle of water. I ran out of my house to meet Harika by the big oak tree near her house.

"Hi, Kenji. How are you?", she said smiling,"You look tired you. You ok?"

"Fine, just tired. We should get going, before we're late." I said in a small voice. Haricka looked worried. I guess she just shrugged it off. She talked to me all the way to school. I wasn't really paying attention though. All I could remember was those blood red eyes in my doorway.

"Kenji, are you even listening to me?" She said bringing me back to reality. I slowed my pace, and looked at her.

"Yes, I'm just thinking. Look, we should hurry we're gonna be late." I said smiling. She nods at me. We ran to the school. Olsa was on the stairs doing what she usually is.

Having her nose stuck in a book.

"Hey Olsa. How was your morning?" I said joyfully. She grunted in return. It was fine, not like she talked much anyway. Harika and I took our seats. Harika turned to Shiann and began talking. I did my usual get my books and notes. I put them in order of how we took subjects. Beginning with english and ending with math. Miss Fugio walked in and class began.

The day went smoothly. I helped Harika with math as usual. In return she helped with science. Still, my mind would wander to the memories of the eyes. It was like it was burned into my brain. Just stuck there. This made it hard to concentrate on the subjects. What could of that been? Some type of horrible dream? No, it was to realistic. It had to have happen. Just why?

"Kenji, you ok? You've been spacing out all day." Harika asked standing by my desk.

"I'm fine. I just been-", I stop. If she knew, she'd think I was crazy. "been, uh wandering how my mom was." I say with an awkward smile and laugh. She eyes me suspiciously, and continues talking.

" Well, lets get going. It'll be dark soon." She said as she grabbed my hand, and led me out of the school. As we left, Olsa and Shiann were already walking home. Harika ran up to them. I soon followed. We talked until we went our separate ways. We walked past the berry grove. I looked at a glass bottle on the ground. I picked it up. On the the label was Scent of Lavender.
"Hey Harika, look at this." I called out. She ran over and looked at the bottle. She took the bottle from me, and put it in her bag.
"Hey! I was looking at that." I shouted annoyed.
"It's mine. I lost it yesterday. I guess it fell out of my bag." She looked at me with joy in her eyes.
"Thanks Kenji." She smiled and kissed my cheek.
"No problem." I say in a faint voice blushing. From that point on we talked until we reached my house.
"See you tomorrow, Kenji." She said as she ran down the road. I turned back to my house. The memories of the night before rushed back into my mind. I hope that I was wrong about not dreaming.
I walked up to the front door and unlocked it. I walked into the foyer. The house was unusually cold for early spring. I looked around the corner into the kitchen. Nothing. Well nothing staring back at me with red eyes. I sighed relieved. I walked into the kitchen, and was about to fix dinner, when the doorbell rang. I opened it expecting Harika. Only, there was nothing there. Just a package.
"Mail this late. I didn't order anything." I said puzzled.
"Maybe, mom did." I said as I picked it up. I set it on the table. Kenji was written on the front. I opened it to find a tray of muffins. I picked one up, and smelled it.
"It doesn't smell funny." I take a bite.
"It doesn't taste funny. Actually that's really good." I said, before cramming another into my mouth. I ate seven of the eight in no time. As I bit into the eighth, I felt something hard as I bit down. I put my hand over my mouth as I found it was close to impossible to open it. I finally was able to pry my mouth open with my hand. I spit the object out. I felt the inside of my mouth. Some type of glue like substance was there.
On the counter was a razor blade wrapped in barbed wire.
"What the hell?!" I said, as blood dripped from my mouth. I rushed to my bathroom. I washed my mouth out. I look at my mouth in the mirror.
My tongue had been cut from the tip to the middle from the blade. It began to bleed again. I washed my mouth out again. After five minutes or so it quite bleeding. My mind raced. Why was that in there? Did someone want me to swallow that?
If I had, I would of died for sure. I grabbed a shower and brushed my teeth. I heard noises from my room. Footsteps sounded though the hallway. They stopped in front of the bathroom door. I stood completely still. The Footsteps went back to my room. I got dressed, and waited an extra five minutes, before leaving the room.
I walked into my room. Nothing was misplaced. It was as though no one had been there at all. Am I just paranoid? No, someone's doing this. Just why? I've never wronged anyone.
I went to bed that night on edge. No signs of the eyes. In the middle of the night, I awoke to noises from downstairs. I quietly walked downstairs. I looked into the kitchen. Nothing was moving.
I turned on the light. In front of me on the table was a muffin. The smell of lavender hung in the air.