Chapter 1

I stared out into the forest, just watching the forest dwellers get about on their business.

 When I walked by they stopped all activity, knowing that a predator was near, but I wasn’t hungry. I had hunted last night and choked down what I could. My appetite always seeming to leave me this time of year. It was a month till my birthday and I always feel extra lonely whenever it nears.

I needed to feel comforted and the only place in the whole forest was just beyond these tree’s. It was a frozen lake, with willow trees all around it. Being the middle of winter, it was covered in snow and ice, the only thing to stand out in the rising sun, was the darkness of the bark. The morning sun hitting the ice hanging from the trees, created dancing lights. It really was a beautiful place to just come to and to just be at peace. It was my solace.

Sighing as I sat under one of the tree’s, crossing my legs and watching the sun rise. I watched the sun's light dance across the icicles hanging from the branches of the tree. Taking a deep breathe I closed my eyes and let myself go. Tracing my silver snowflake pendent on my chest, with my finger, I couldn’t help reflecting back on my past.

--Flash back--

It’s was my 13th birthday, and I stayed up most of the night helping my mom with the decorations for my party. So naturally I slept in a bit late.

My brother burst through my bedroom door and shouted at the top of his lungs happy birthday. Which woke me up. Groaning with the lack of sleep, and still feeling overly tired, I groggily said, “Go away Jake.” and then burrowed further below the haven of my warm blankets.

 I wasn’t feeling well last night, I had started getting a fever and my mom wanted to cancel the party, but I told her not to worry, that by tomorrow I would be ok. I never usually get sick so she was a bit reluctant, but caved in the end.

My brother Jake, usually liked to annoy me, being two years older than me and practically my twin, but then again I liked to annoy him too. We had an easy relationship. We teased each other all the time.

“Ahh, come on Em’s it’s your birthday and everyone’s waiting for you to get up so we can start the day. Your guests will be arriving soon.”

He sat down next to me on my bed and I felt the bed dip so I pulled the covers tighter. He tried to pry the covers from my head, with no such luck.

 I felt him getting off the bed. Ha, ha victory is mine. Making myself comfortable once again I snuggled into my covers and started drifting off to sleep.

“AHH, what the hell!” I gasped, jumping out of bed, while Jake jumped back laughing his head off.

“That was epic, you should have seen your face.”

I glared at him, he still had the glass in his hand, which used to be filled with ice cold water.

Water was still dripping from my face and my hair was soaked. I glanced down at my once warm 'dry' bed and realized that there was no way that I was going back to sleep now.